Beta Bowl Maintenance.

1. guppylady Member Member

My 7 gallon tank refuses to cycle properly so for the time being I've been using a bowl for my beta. I've read so many conflicting arguments on how to properly maintain said bow and was wondering if anyone has any real detailed ideas.

So far I've been doing about 10% daily water changes, it's a half gallon bowl, with water I've been leaving in a previously unused container with a lid in the same room so temperatures are the same. I feed him about 4 pellets a day, skipping Wednesday for a good chance for his belly to settle any left overs. On Tuesday's I give him a bit of blood worms and Thursday's I give him Brine shrimp. I'm careful to count exactly how many he's eating to insure he's not getting over fed. His belly is fine, got a little fat when I let him gorge on food one day but that went away fast. He has a plant which he sleeps on and gravel on the bottom. Once a week I carefully cup him into the cup he came in, put the lid atop it and move him aside so he won't get knocked over. I carefully dump the remainder of the water into a bucket I use for fish tank only. I leave the gravel in the bowl. Next I carefully wipe down the walls with paper towel to get rid of the goo. After the walls are done I pour in some warm water and stir up the gravel so the waste floats up and then drain it over a strainer to make sure no gravel falls into the sink. After a few good rinses and I'm fairly sure there's no more poop or not ate foods. Then put the rinsed off plant back in and pour the old water back into the bowl and top up with the water that's been sitting out for at least 8 hours.

So I was wondering if I'm somehow missing something or doing something wrong. There's SO much conflicting stuff as I've said regarding this topic. I know to not use dish soap or any other soap. I know to not dump out more than 40% at any given time, though I've read some nightmarish places that say 100% either daily or weekly.

My 7 gallon tank just doesn't want to get rid of the ammonia, it's been two months and the thing is still reading fairly high levels. grr.:mad:

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

I know, cycling tanks is really difficult :( Is there a filter on the 7? If not, then that's why it's not cycling. If there is, you might want to buy a bottle of TSS to help. For cleaning the bowl, do 20% water changes daily. Your feeding schedule is great, don't need to change that. Is there a heater on the 1/2? Is there one in the 7? If the 1/2 is unheated and the 7 is, I'd say float the 1/2 in the 7 to keep it steady :)
    Stop doing the 100% water changes, they're not horrible, but they don't help a ton either. Just do a 50% water change once a week with a water conditioner, and make sure the water is the same temperature as the bowl water. When you do the 50%, use an air line to suck up the gunk in the gravel. The tank is so small you can probably get most of it no problem.
    You've done a great job so far, and I can definitely tell you care for this fish. Good luck on cycling the tank, ask if you have any more questions :)

3. guppylady Member Member

I never do 100% water changes! I also just moved him into a 2 gallon bowl and intend to just do a water change every 2 or 3 days now with only a 20% measured out in order to prevent too much change at once. I do care about my boy. He's super active and loves coming to the front to show off when I look into his bowl. He seems a lot happier now that I've shifted him.

The 7 gallon has a heater + filter. The N03- is finally starting to show and ammonia levels are very slowly coming down. I'm hoping that the tank is safe soon but I know I can't rush.

4. Nicoldeme Member Member

I thought you said you put him in a cup and dumped out the rest of the water? Well anyway, do 20% WCs on the 2g every other day, rather than 2-3. Congrats on finally getting the cycle working. Your doing a good job with your fish ;) Better than the rest of us did on our first fishes. Wish you luck with the complete tank! Post pictures when it's all done!