Beta Being Attacked In Community Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zharper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 58 liter community tank with danios, glass cats, bosmenai rainbow fish, khuli loachs, bristle nose and teteras in it. It's a fairly new tank and I used to have a 38 liter with many of same fish. In my old tank I had a male beta and two females and they all lived together happily.
My male beta died of old age but when I moved my females into the new tank they just sat at the bottom and breathed heavily. All the other fish were great and everything about the tank was good. I then took them back to the pet store because I was worried about them. After about two months I brought a white half moon male beta and when I put it in its tail got all torn up and it sat on the bottom and didn't move. I then moved it into a hippie tank and it was fine and swam around happily. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong in my tank. Is it other fish attacking it or something else?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you sure it's a 58 litre tank and not a 58 gallon? 58 litres is only about 15 gallons. Many of those fish need to be in a school and need a larger tank.

As for the fins, what are your water parameters? Did you notice any other fish bothering him?

Reactions: Tez

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First, what do you mean by “hippie” tank? They’re not like smoking funny things in there right? Haha. A lot of bettas are stressed in a community, while others are fine, maybe he wants to be alone. Have you noticed nipping? Check you decor for sharp edges and make sure the filter isn’t sucking his fins too.

OP
Z

Zharper

Reaction score
All water water parameters are fine and I haven't noticed any fin nipping and there's no sharp objects in the tank. I'm wondering if it's the filter and if so how do I fix that. Also if it is the other fish nipping him is there anything I can do or do the fish need to be removed.

Also that was meant to say happy not hippie***

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All water water parameters are fine and I haven't noticed any fin nipping and there's no sharp objects in the tank. I'm wondering if it's the filter and if so how do I fix that. Also if it is the other fish nipping him is there anything I can do or do the fish need to be removed.

Ah gotcha, happy
Not sure what filter you have but maybe add a sponge to the intake if that’s what kind it is. Make sure there are lots of plants and hiding areas, if it’s already like that then sadly maybe they just can’t be together.

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Zharper welcome to the Fishlore and it sounds to me like it's being attacked after it went fine on it's own...I had endler guppies in with my normal guppies and they was attacking them as they don't like larger fish then themselves, I soon had them out...to me I would put it on it's own and just see how it does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom