Beta and african dwarf frog

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishGuy101, Dec 11, 2012.

1. F

FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

i have a beta in a 3 gallon tank and a african dwarf frog in a 10 gallon tank they 10 gallon currently has a small filter big enough for 5 gallons the tank is currently bare bottom but im getting some sand and aquarium bulbs this weekend can i put the beta with the african dwarf frog

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I've never kept kept them together but others have.
    Some with success. Some not.

You'd have to keep a close on things.

3. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

African Dwarf Frogs actually do better with bare bottom tanks. I have a betta with my frogs. You have to have the right betta, it doesn't work with all of them. Frogs can potentially hurt the betta and the betta can hurt the frogs. ADF's have poor eye sight. So sometimes they will bite my betta. I have a big king betta so he doesn't get hurt.

Also, bettas can easily hurt your frog. They can also out compete them for food so you need to pay attention to that.

It's good to have a backup plan in case something goes wrong.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My frog likes crawling around on the sand - IME they have trouble holding their position on the bottom without substrate. At one point I kept them in a 20 long that only had sand covering about a third of the tank, and that's where they always were. Of course that's largely a function of the amount of current in the tank. I doubt they would have trouble with a sponge filter.

You have a significantly greater chance of success keeping them in the 10 versus the 3.

5. OP
    OP
    F

well im going to have a small plat for to feed the frog so it doesn't eat n e sand and my betta will only eat of the top he is weird

also i was planing on the tank being heavily planted

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  6. Jaysee

My frog doesn't eat sand.

7. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

LOL! ADF's are not sand eaters.

8. C

I keep my frogs in a bare bottom tank. They get around fine. It is possible for frogs to miss their food and eat sand. They can be pretty bad at aiming some times.

9. OP
    OP
    F

they can some times misss and eat it like cichlid nut sed

10. Jaysee

Sure, but their poor eyesight is independent of their ability to differentiate between food and sand.

Taking sand into the mouth and eating it are two different things. Mine spits it out every time. Maybe you have a challenged frog.....

Some people think their fish eat sand too.

11. OP
    OP
    F

believe me it can happen

12. C

There are documented cases of frogs eating sand and having issues from it. Just because your frog hasn't had any problems, doesn't mean it is impossible.

13. OP
    OP
    F

whats a kings betta

14. Jaysee

First and foremost, I never said it was impossible. I said that they can tell the difference between sand and food, and that mine spits it out.

"sand killed my frog" is not a thread that ever shows up on the forum.

15. OP
    OP
    F

ima start one then ...

16. Jaysee

Make sure you link this thread.

17. OP
    OP
    F

im jk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice