Best / worst cichlid?

N13

Hello! I am starting to enter the cichlid side of the hobby and came across many nice cichlids and was wondering which one will be the best? Vote in the poll which one is the best out of these and maybe even share what the best cichlid you kept was! also which cichlid is the worst in the poll and which cichlid is the worst that you kept?

Any advice is appreciated!

AggressiveAquatics

What do you mean? Best as in best looking, Or most peaceful? And worst as in worst looking, or most aggressive?

Upvote 0

St3v3

Hello! I am starting to enter the cichlid side of the hobby and came across many nice cichlids and was wondering which one will be the best? Vote in the poll which one is the best out of these and maybe even share what the best cichlid you kept was! also which cichlid is the worst in the poll and which cichlid is the worst that you kept?

Any advice is appreciated!
I need clarification on what you mean by best cichlid?Do mean best looking?Least aggressive?Most aggressive?Smallest Largest? Easiest cichlid to keep please explain.

Upvote 0

N13

I need clarification on what you mean by best cichlid?Do mean best looking?Least aggressive?Most aggressive?Smallest Largest? Easiest cichlid to keep please explain.
I mean best cichlid as in personality and color

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I really like my Caudopunks. They’re neat little fish, and they have stunning blue eyes too. I think my favorite part of keeping them so far is watching them raise the fry, but it’s also interesting to watch them establish and protect territories.

Upvote 0

MacZ

That's like asking "What's your favourite Oxygen?".

You can't live without cichlids of any kind.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I totally get where this thread is coming from. When I started back in fish-keeping, about a year and a half ago, I was just focusing on the peaceful, safe, community-style fish. But once I got a German Blue Ram pair, I've been careening down the slippery slope to Cichlids ever since, and I just love learning about more species and varieties.

I've even considered making a tournament bracket (think like March Madness in American College Basketball) to determine who would win out as "best" cichlid in my own opinion (Nerd alert!!).

I think the challenge that people are having with this voting is that there is a lot of the super common Cichlids (Peacocks, Mbunas, Oscars, Flowerhorn, Rams, etc, etc.) that are not on the list. Also, the already identified question of what constitutes as "best", which you defined above.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Also, the already identified question of what constitutes as "best", which you defined above.

With 1700+ species described and the number growing each year, there is no decision possible I think.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

This is all down to personal preference - there isnt really a ‘best’ cichlid as if there were, we would all surely keep it. They all have their pros and cons but regardless of what kind you keep, its completely worth it.

Upvote 0

N13

I really like my Caudopunks. They’re neat little fish, and they have stunning blue eyes too. I think my favorite part of keeping them so far is watching them raise the fry, but it’s also interesting to watch them establish and protect territories.
Nice!
Thx for the thoughts guys!
I am deciding with rainbow cichlid vs neolamprologus multifascaitus so that's why I made the poll

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Nice!
Thx for the thoughts guys!
I am deciding with rainbow cichlid vs neolamprologus multifascaitus so that's why I made the poll

I think I've commented on other posts that you've had, so I won't repeat any of that here, however, since I keep both of those, I will give you a couple of thoughts that I have:

1. My "breeding group" that the breeder that I bought them from told me that they were a M and 3 F, however, seeing as 9 months in, there has been no breeding in a tank that has no issues that I'm aware of, I seriously wonder if they are all males. Multies are very challenging to determine gender, so it may not be out of the realm of possibility that even a breeder got it wrong.

2. My Multies also do not inhabit the shells. I have some stones in the middle of the tank and a couple of them hide in or around them. The other two spend time around the sponge filter or a fake plant that I have. So, I'm also missing out on the nice "Shell-dwelling" behavior. So, now they're cute fish that are cool to see dart in and out of rocks and plants...but other fish do that too.

3. The Multies also are such that it is highly questionable on whether I can even put anything else in the tank. It's a 29 gallon, but I'm not sure that they would tolerate anything else in there having been kings of the tank for so long. In the beginning, I had a few Zebra Danios and a Dwarf Gourami, but the Zebras stayed at the top and didn't really add much value to the tank. Eventually, the DG just hid a lot and would get chased from time to time by the Shelliies.

4. Rainbows are very pretty but their colors can be darker depending on the mood and the substrate color. I have them with black sand, so they tend to be darker in color a lot of the times. The do show the yellows and oranges at times, especially after a water change, but it is not the crazy vivid yellow that you see in some of the (doctored?) images when you google them. Their personalities totally make up for the at-times muted colors.

Overall, I think both would be good choices. If your multies breed, like almost everyone else that keeps them, their growing colony will be spectacular to watch. For me, I struggle with the fact that I'm not getting the things out of mine that are the whole reason why people start a tank for them. It's a lot of real estate (29 gallons) that I could use on something else fun.

Upvote 0

N13

I think I've commented on other posts that you've had, so I won't repeat any of that here, however, since I keep both of those, I will give you a couple of thoughts that I have:

1. My "breeding group" that the breeder that I bought them from told me that they were a M and 3 F, however, seeing as 9 months in, there has been no breeding in a tank that has no issues that I'm aware of, I seriously wonder if they are all males. Multies are very challenging to determine gender, so it may not be out of the realm of possibility that even a breeder got it wrong.

2. My Multies also do not inhabit the shells. I have some stones in the middle of the tank and a couple of them hide in or around them. The other two spend time around the sponge filter or a fake plant that I have. So, I'm also missing out on the nice "Shell-dwelling" behavior. So, now they're cute fish that are cool to see dart in and out of rocks and plants...but other fish do that too.

3. The Multies also are such that it is highly questionable on whether I can even put anything else in the tank. It's a 29 gallon, but I'm not sure that they would tolerate anything else in there having been kings of the tank for so long. In the beginning, I had a few Zebra Danios and a Dwarf Gourami, but the Zebras stayed at the top and didn't really add much value to the tank. Eventually, the DG just hid a lot and would get chased from time to time by the Shelliies.

4. Rainbows are very pretty but their colors can be darker depending on the mood and the substrate color. I have them with black sand, so they tend to be darker in color a lot of the times. The do show the yellows and oranges at times, especially after a water change, but it is not the crazy vivid yellow that you see in some of the (doctored?) images when you google them. Their personalities totally make up for the at-times muted colors.

Overall, I think both would be good choices. If your multies breed, like almost everyone else that keeps them, their growing colony will be spectacular to watch. For me, I struggle with the fact that I'm not getting the things out of mine that are the whole reason why people start a tank for them. It's a lot of real estate (29 gallons) that I could use on something else fun.
Nice info! Do you know any good tank mates for rainbow cichlid if not thats fine.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Nice info! Do you know any good tank mates for rainbow cichlid if not thats fine.

I can't imagine too many non-timid fish that wouldn't do well with the Rainbow Cichlids.

I have mine in a tank with Cories, Black Skirt Tetras, Bolvian Rams, Gourami, Plecos, and some mid-size SA Cichlids. I think they'd do well with anything large enough to not be a snack (no nano fish or shrimp). They get chased out of the Bolivian's territory when they wander into it, so they're really pretty chill.

Upvote 0

St3v3

I mean best cichlid as in personality and color
Well if thats the case either the Firemouth or electric blue acara not quite sure which though

Upvote 0

N13

Hmm I am thinking of tank mates with rainbow cichlid and I came up with some which should I cross off the list and which should I keep?

1. longfin zebra danio
2. neon dwarf rainbowfish
3. panda cory

I might cross off zebra danio but I am still deciding between cory or rainbowfish

Upvote 0

Leeman75

What size tank are you looking to put them in again? I haven't kept them, so I can't really comment on that other than what I've heard which is that because the NDR get to be 2.5 inches each and is the type of fish that need to have like 10 or more, you don't want to have them in too small of a tank.

I think the Panda Cories would be good with the Rainbow Cichlids. I have those two fish together in one of my tanks.

The Zebra Danios are very fast and excitable fish, but what they have in speed, they lose in color. I like the Brilliant Rasboras, which are every bit as fast and excitable as the Danios, but are much prettier with a yellow color and red tail.

Upvote 0

AcuarioAmazonico

Overall, I would have to say Severum - colour, personality, interaction with other tank mates, etc.

Just appearance: I can’t go past Vieja melanura

Upvote 0

Brizburk

ohhhh I was afraid to get rams because I had heard they are hard to care for and blah blah blah. I finally jumped in and bought a pair of emerald blue rams (I think that's what they were called). HOLY COW I LOVE THEM!!!!! They want to make more and I finally set them up in their own breeding tank so hopefully they'll do their thing and give me babies!!!

These guys are adorable, black with bright iridescent blue, they flare up and dart around and strut their stuff.

I think the most import thing is consistent water quality. It doesn't have to be the perfect they need this exact ph or this exact (insert any exact), your best with consistency, most fish can adapt to different water quality, but not huge swings.

Love me some Rams!!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • americanninja
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
devilson
  • Question
Replies
Views