best wood type to use?

1. LadyBug82 Member Member

what kind of wood is best to make a fish tank stand out of?

2. MikeS29 Member Member

Your question is about making a stand, so I would think any cured, dimensional lumber that is done warping should suffice. I think design and technique for joining the corners would be the most important consideration.

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:-[What an idiot I am, I thought you said what to put in the tank not make the tank out of.... my husband made me a beautiful stand today for my 40 gallon tank. He made it out of pine. I need to stain it, but it is awesome.:;smileyfrog

5. croaker Member Member

i make mine out of birch plywood
    strong and flat

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would use whatever you can get for the framework and then cover with a nicer material for looks. The birch plywood as mentioned looks great and can be left natural with a clear poly or a nice stain on it.

7. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Do looks matter ? Personally I would do solid oak!

8. LadyBug82 Member Member

here is the drawing of the tank stand I'm going to get built soon. and I'm going to be painting it berry pink and metallic silver. my daughter chose those colors.

Attached Files:

9. MikeS29 Member Member

Wendy, you're no idiot! We have been talking a lot about wood in the tank lately :)

I built a stand once that was basically 4 upright 4"x4"s with two bands of 2"x4"s surrounding them, one at the very bottom, the other at the very top. A plywood deck on the top to support the tank, then I covered 3 sides ( left the back open) with a bead-board panelling that you often see in old kitchens, if you know the kind I mean. The front panel was removable/hinged to open up. Painted it white. Looked pretty good, I must admit.

10. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

shelving inside it Lady Bug?

11. fresh water Member Member

Yes the 4x4 for the legs makes it much easyer to atach the frame and makes it very stabale, depending on the length of the tank 2x6 might be better for the top frame. Just like in your diagram

12. LadyBug82 Member Member

no shelving on it.

13. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

You so should! :)