Best wiremesh size for moss

Hendyw

What is the best wiremesh size for moss? In mm. I plan to attach crystalwort and other moss on soil. Thank you.

Blacksheep1

I’m literally looking into this myself as we speak , well type … there’s tonnes on Amazon but I’m worried about rusting even though it says rust free I wonder if food grade plastic would be better maybe

Marlene327

I bought some from and it already has the mesh. Now I don't quite know what to do with it. Ideas are welcome.

Blacksheep1

YouTube to the rescue !!

JavaMossMan

Is this for your 10 gallon shrimp tank Marlene? If its java moss you simply remove the moss from the mesh and gently roll it into a ball. Next puff it back up using planting tweezers and gently shaking the ball to your desired look. You can create a carpet effect this way if you have alot of moss. Repeat this once or twice a week to keep your moss clean and healthy.

Hendyw

I’m literally looking into this myself as we speak , well type … there’s tonnes on Amazon but I’m worried about rusting even though it says rust free I wonder if food grade plastic would be better maybe
I find that mesh 10 size (2mm) hole is the one that people usually use. But im curious, is bigger or smaller better. Isnt plastic will float?
Is this for your 10 gallon shrimp tank Marlene? If its java moss you simply remove the moss from the mesh and gently roll it into a ball. Next puff it back up using planting tweezers and gently shaking the ball to your desired look. You can create a carpet effect this way if you have alot of moss. Repeat this once or twice a week to keep your moss clean and healthy.
You seem experienced in moss, what moss looks good for carpeting. I want to use crystal wort, or maybe fisiden, but i never heard carpetting fisiden. I hate java moss it looks messy.

JavaMossMan

I've only kept java moss but christmas moss is supposed to have a much neater look and is also a low demanding moss like java moss.

I only do low tech tanks so the higher requirement mosses I've never even touched.

Yes java moss looks wild and messy but that is also an attractive look in certain setups but perhaps not what your aiming for in your setup.

My recommendation is to go with christmas moss and work your way up if your new to mosses/plants. I believe there are also other mosses that are low demanding.

Java moss or christmas moss?? | Aquarium Plants Forum | 166275

Marlene327

Yes it is for that tank. I'm embarrassed to say that my plants arrived last week, I glued my plants on to rocks and built the tank. I glued some anubia petites on to a piece of wood and wrapped some of the moss around it. I have 1 square just laying in there to keep it alive, and 2 squares I've never even opened. I hope they're alive. I'll try that tomorrow, but no, it's not a lot of moss.

JavaMossMan

Ah then I would just leave it in the mesh as is and throw it in your tank. Java moss will take some time to acclimate to your tank before it takes off. That could be a few weeks to a few months but when it does takes off you will have tons of it. I never had luck with anubias hopefully it does well for you.

Btw java moss is really tough. I pulled some out of my tank once and left it out of the water for a few days to throw out but then I changed my mind and decided to put it back in my tank. Virtually no damage was done and the whole thing continued to grow healthy.

Marlene327

Ah then I would just leave it in the mesh as is and throw it in your tank. Java moss will take some time to acclimate to your tank before it takes off. That could be a few weeks to a few months but when it does takes off you will have tons of it. I never had luck with anubias hopefully it does well for you.

Btw java moss is really tough. I pulled some out of my tank once and left it out of the water for a few days to throw out but then I changed my mind and decided to put it back in my tank. Virtually no damage was done and the whole thing continued to grow healthy.
I finally opened them after writing here. Yes they've all turned brown, including in the tank from last week, but I won't give up. I'm putting a squirt of Easy Green in there probably every 4 or 5 days, and hope it's going to help the java ferns and anubias. Believe it or not those anubias were doing fantastic in my 40 gallon, and I had them buried. I only saw a couple weeks ago on how you glue the rhizome or just plant it above the sand, so it should do even better now.

I tossed the 2 squares into my 40 gallon. It's the one with the most nutrients in the water, maybe it will do something. Or just hang on til I'm ready to work with it. I might glue a piece onto my clown pleco's cave, just hate to kick him out that long! I'll be taking a picture of my tank soon. I was waiting for my wood to fully sink, holding it down with plant weights. I like it alot, but might get more plants, maybe a floater. So far I THINK I don't have any "pest" snails, but it's early!

Hendyw

Tha
I've only kept java moss but christmas moss is supposed to have a much neater look and is also a low demanding moss like java moss.

I only do low tech tanks so the higher requirement mosses I've never even touched.

Yes java moss looks wild and messy but that is also an attractive look in certain setups but perhaps not what your aiming for in your setup.

My recommendation is to go with christmas moss and work your way up if your new to mosses/plants. I believe there are also other mosses that are low demanding.

Thank you i will try the chrismtas moss too when im ready.

Marlene327

Tha

Thank you i will try the chrismtas moss too when im ready.
I don't know how other places sell theirs, but Aquarium Co-op puts a blend of mosses into their Java Moss, and Christmas moss is among them. I hope mine grows and I get to see what I have.

JavaMossMan

I finally opened them after writing here. Yes they've all turned brown, including in the tank from last week, but I won't give up. I'm putting a squirt of Easy Green in there probably every 4 or 5 days, and hope it's going to help the java ferns and anubias. Believe it or not those anubias were doing fantastic in my 40 gallon, and I had them buried. I only saw a couple weeks ago on how you glue the rhizome or just plant it above the sand, so it should do even better now.

I tossed the 2 squares into my 40 gallon. It's the one with the most nutrients in the water, maybe it will do something. Or just hang on til I'm ready to work with it. I might glue a piece onto my clown pleco's cave, just hate to kick him out that long! I'll be taking a picture of my tank soon. I was waiting for my wood to fully sink, holding it down with plant weights. I like it alot, but might get more plants, maybe a floater. So far I THINK I don't have any "pest" snails, but it's early!
You should email them and ask them if they grew the java moss emersed (out of water). If so that may be why it is turning brown. If it dies off just let them know I believe they will send out a replacement for free.

If there are any green portions on the moss then you are still good.

Pest snails are good for moss/tank in case you end up with some. They will only get out of control if you overfeed and there is a lot of extra food available.

Btw Hendy, I think post #7 in the link I posted above is relevant to your original question.

Here is the link again:

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JonJal
  • Question
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
Replies
Views