Best White Spot Treatment - Uk/europe

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Gary1962, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Gary1962

Gary1962Valued MemberMember

Hi everyone.

Just noticed this morning that a new fish I added last evening has White Spot.

Only 1 spot visible on it's pectoral fin.

I have no quarantine/hospital tank. What is the best treatment currently commonly available in the UK?

Is it a good move to treat the fish in situ and so, the whole tank? I read that this parasite us highly contagious.

Thanks all.

2. pagoda

pagodaValued MemberMember

3. RSababady

RSababadyWell Known MemberMember

Good question - sorry to hear you are having to go through this challenge.
    1. If you have caught it early enough, and I think this is the case, separate the fish in a hospital tank.
    Make sure you have no substrate as you will need to vacuum the bottom on a daily basis during the water change to avoid the spores falling off the fish and hatching out....and attacking the fish again.

Push the water temp up to around 28-29degrees C. This will work. If on the other hand you want to use chemicals, I strongly recommend Kick-Ich. It is made my Ruby, readily available in Europe.
    2. Cure the fish in the main tank. I have done this as well using the same sequence described above - i.e. water changes, vacuuming the substrate and adding Kich-Ich. Don't raise the temp in the main tank too high as your plants will take a hit.

BTW: I have a hospital tank that I use for sick and new fish. I keep it dry until required. When I need it, I pour water from the main tank into the hospital tank, so sick fish don't stress out due to a change in water conditions and new fish get acclimatised to my main tank water conditions.

For water changes in the hospital tank, I take out water from the hospital tank and replace it with more water from the main tank. I replenish the water in the main tank with conditioned tap water and do my regular WC in the main tank.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Wait till you are sure it is Ich (one spot doesn't need to be), get Esha Exit, Sera Costapur or JBL punktol, and teat the whole tank.

If it is Ich it is in the whole tank. It is easy to treat though. Don't panick and don't use all kinds of treatment at the same time.
    Only that is causing fish to die unnecessary.

5. OP
    OP
    Gary1962

Thanks for the detailed advice here! As I don't have a spare tank/heater/filter, I'm going for treating the fish in situ/the whole tank.
    Couldn't find Kich-Ich locally. My usual independent sold me NT Labs Anti White Spot & Fungus.
    Thinking I really need to get a quarantine/hospital tank though.
    What do you do as regards a filter, on yours?

6. OP
    OP
    Gary1962

Thanks for your advice.
    Always good to have a veteran chime in!
    I think I did panic - been a bit edgy as it's only about a month since my tank has been free of disease.
    The last bout - suspected but not 100% sure, columnaris. Lost about 12 fish. The Sera Baktopur you recommended stopped it.
    None of the products you listed were available locally.
    I bought NT Labs Anti White Spot & Fungus. Any thoughts on this?
    BTW what could the tiny white cyst on the fin be if not White Spot?

7. DoubleDutch

I don't know the med, but it will be okay to use.

Not every white spot is Ich. Sometimes they are simply a bacterial node / reaction of the skin to "something". So keep a close eye.

As stated elsewhere : The biggest risk of Ich(treatment) is panicking keepers doing all available treatments (and more) at the same time to get rid of this pretty easy to treat disease.

Keep us informed.

8. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

The best Whitespot treatment available in the UK is Protozin.

If it was whitespot you would need to treat the whole tank, but it sounds like it’s probably nothing to worry about.

9. DoubleDutch