Best Way To Weigh Down "driftwood"

1. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I got a piece of wood, but I'm not sure what the best way to weigh it down until it water logs. I got two rocks, but I'm not sure what the best way to attatch it to the wood is or if there is another way.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Can you get a pic. I've only done it once, and there are so many different shapes.

3. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

You can fill a sock or nylon with sand and put it on the wood. It can't fall off like a rock.
    Or you could zip tie or screw it to a piece of slate.

4. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

It's late here or I would. It is approximately 6 inches long, 2 inches wide, and is in a kind of arch shape though.

5. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I have rubber banded rocks to DW. The stocking full of sand or gravel sounds like a very good method. I have some soaking outside hoping it might sink on it's own by the end of summer. It can float a VERY long time.

6. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I have only waterlogged one piece of wood. I boiled it for 45 minutes to reduce the amount of tannins and let it float in the tank until it sank (2weeks later).

7. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I guess I am lucky. I have 3 pcs each in different tanks, I always boiled mine for 5-6 hours and then let sit in 5 gal pail for 24 hours and they all sank to the bottom. I like the sand stocking idea. Good to know.

8. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I have wood that floats for months with no end in sight lol. I boiled it a stupid long time. Like over 4 hours. I found it in a lake ten years ago (floating), and it laid in my garden all those years. Just depends on the species.

9. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would bury under the gravel.

10. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm having to rush this one as I have my new 20H empty with a sole Gold Ram and gravel, but I leave for vacation (4 days) in 3 days. I'm hopefully going to get around to getting her Elodea and Temple Compacta tomorrow. I need to get her something to have in there. I'm placing the Anubias Nana on the driftwood, so I can't put it in there until the driftwood is.

11. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

That will work for tiny pieces of DW or wood that is barely barely bouyant. Some of the wood I collected needs 2-3 pounds minimum to barely hold it down. Good hardwood that will last does not always soak up water quickly. Soft or deteriorated woods are much easier to submerge but they generally rot in the tank as a downside.

12. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I just drop the rock on top of the wood. If the wood is still floating, add more rocks.

13. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I take that back. It's around 11 inches. I guess that's what happens when I'm trying to boil wood late at night. I've got it boiling some more. In total, I've boiled it around 3.5-4.5 hours so far. Any ideas on attaching the wood to rocks?

14. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

It actually 9 inches. The "ruler" I was using I later found out only goes to 10. I soaked the wood over 8 hours with no luck. It was less buoyant, but it still floated. I went ahead a put it in the tank to properly place the plants. After placing the plants, I planned to remove and soak the wood overnight. It floated around for about 5 minutes and sank to the bottom! I actually really like the look of this piece in the tank!

15. James17 Well Known Member Member

Just zip tie it to any rock you can get, no problem.

16. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Glad it obeyed your orders finally. lol
    I've got one with a rock wedged in right now. Fish coming Monday night. I may have to zip tie it to insure the rock does not fall on the fish. It's spiderwood so it will take some time to water log.

17. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I leave for vacation in two days. I was worried it wouldn't sink in time. It worked out great though. I'll post pictures tomorrow.