Best way to speed up cycle?

Hannah1064

I’m trying to get my new 10 gallon tank cycled and I’m really hoping it won’t take two months like my other one. I was just wondering if there is any of helping it along? I already bought and added Tetra Safe Start Plus, would buying a couple more of these make it go any faster? I already added about 5ppm ammonia right after adding the Safe Start, to make sure the bacteria didn’t die. (Also it is planted so that might help it go faster)

Pfrozen

My 10g cycled in less than 2 weeks, I just added TSS+ (the concentrated kind) and dosed with stability following the instructions on the bottle. I did fish-in but I imagine fishless would go quick. I can't dose manually in Canada so I need to be creative. I tried using frozen bloodworms but they fouled my tank

It sounds like you are on the right track just sit back and relax :D

Hpup456

If you have another tank or a friend with a tank you can put that tanks filter media in your new tank and it is cycled immediately I have heard.

candiedragon

Seeding it is pretty much the best way to speed up a cycle. What seeding means is to take some filter media from an established tank and putting it into the filter on the new tank (sorry if you knew that already, but in case people who don't know read this thread then hopefully it brings them clarity). Planted tanks may not possibly help the cycle, because the plants will also consume ammonia and nitrates so the beneficial bacteria will have to compete with the plants.

If you're going to use products I honestly feel like Stability really, really helps. That's what I used when I had to jump-start cycles on some new tubs because some guppies I ordered were coming in a lot sooner. I've never had luck with Tetra Safe Start personally, and I don't know anyone who really ever vouched for it but to each their own.

Pridedcloth3

Dirty filter media. Get some from a friend or lfs.

Frank the Fish guy

Take the filter foam out of your cycled tank, give it one good squeeze into the water of your new tank. Put the sponge back in your cycled tank. Don't rinse the brown gook out (ever). Just maintain water flow. The brown squeezings are gold.

New tank will be cycled faster.

smee82

You can transfer half of your media from on filter to another to instantly cycle the 2nd filter.

Donthemon

Do a fish in with the Safestart plus What fish are you planning to add?

Hannah1064

Donthemon said:
Do a fish in with the Safestart plus What fish are you planning to add?
I hoping to get a betta from a friend of ours, they have it in a bowl with one sharp plastic plant...(none of the required equipment of course)

Pfrozen said:
My 10g cycled in less than 2 weeks, I just added TSS+ (the concentrated kind) and dosed with stability following the instructions on the bottle. I did fish-in but I imagine fishless would go quick. I can't dose manually in Canada so I need to be creative. I tried using frozen bloodworms but they fouled my tank

It sounds like you are on the right track just sit back and relax :D
Is stability something separate? I haven’t heard of it. Yeah I’m hoping it will be done sooner rather then later. I’m trying to get a friend of ours (who let there seven year old daughter get a betta!) to give me their betta since they don’t particularly care about it. They have it in a plastic cup basically with a sharp plant. That’s it, nothing else.

Hpup456 said:
If you have another tank or a friend with a tank you can put that tanks filter media in your new tank and it is cycled immediately I have heard.
I‘be heard that too, but this tank has a sponge filter so I don’t know if I could do that.

candiedragon said:
Seeding it is pretty much the best way to speed up a cycle. What seeding means is to take some filter media from an established tank and putting it into the filter on the new tank (sorry if you knew that already, but in case people who don't know read this thread then hopefully it brings them clarity). Planted tanks may not possibly help the cycle, because the plants will also consume ammonia and nitrates so the beneficial bacteria will have to compete with the plants.

If you're going to use products I honestly feel like Stability really, really helps. That's what I used when I had to jump-start cycles on some new tubs because some guppies I ordered were coming in a lot sooner. I've never had luck with Tetra Safe Start personally, and I don't know anyone who really ever vouched for it but to each their own.
The tank I’m trying to cycle has a sponge filter, is it possible for me to seed it? Where can I buy stability? I don’t think I’ve seen it before

Frank the Fish guy said:
Take the filter foam out of your cycled tank, give it one good squeeze into the water of your new tank. Put the sponge back in your cycled tank. Don't rinse the brown gook out (ever). Just maintain water flow. The brown squeezings are gold.

New tank will be cycled faster.
I have two other tanks with sponge filters, would it be okay to do that with both of them?

AvalancheDave

Stability is heterotrophic bacteria which compete with true nitrifying bacteria and also lower dissolved oxygen levels. You don't want them.

Hpup456

You might be able to just squeeze filter media from another tank into that tank like I think someone mentioned

Top Bottom