Best Way To Set Up A Tank With Multiple Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by JRS, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JRS

JRS Well Known Member Member

I am upgrading from a 20 high to a 29.

I have a AC70 that I am planning on using on the 29 and a penguin 150 on the existing tank. I am thinking at least until the AC70 media develops BB of using them both on the 29. Maybe long term or maybe I will switch out the penguin at some point with a sponge filter, so I can easily set up a QT. (or just add a sponge for QT purposes.) I would like to have some kind of redundancy. Does that make sense?

Initially I was running just the 150 and the airstone, then I added the power head for extra oxygen following nitrate issue. If I use the two filters, powerhead and airstone and add the AC70, will that be too much in a 29?

Is there a good, better, best way to layout the equipment including the heater on the tank? i.e. should the HOB be on opposite ends of the back of the tank, near each other, would it be good to put the power head on one end to create some flow.

So now that is a lot of equipment and I don't know the best way to deal with it.

Stocked with tetras and harlies for the time being.

Thank you for any ideas. Appreciate it.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

See green above!

3. OP
    OP
    JRS

Thank you for our advice. I appreciate it.

4. OP
    OP
    JRS

If I only used the AC, would you put it on one side and the heater in the center or the filter centered with the heater off to the side? My first setup was a kit and you had no choice where to put the filter because of the hood, so I never gave it any thought.

Curious, why would you not use the power head or even the airstone? I am just curious, still learning a lot everyday. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. TexasDomer

I just don't think a powerhead or airstone is necessary. Less equipment in the tank is better, in my opinion.

And I do the filter off to the side and the heater either under the flow of the HOB or on the opposite side of the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    JRS

Ok now you have me wondering - on my 5 gallon QT I have a whisper 10 in tank filter and a airstone. The whisper is super quiet and the air pump is not. I have it in the kitchen so being quiet is nice. The water has movement across the entire surface of the water with just the filter, but is it enough? I turned off the air pump for the photo. Thanks again. 20170425_215742.jpg

7. TexasDomer

Yes, that should be plenty of surface agitation for gas exchange. You don't need the airstone if you don't want it.

8. OP
    OP
    JRS

Thanks. I like the bubbles visually, but it is noisy and when I fed them the food shot off to who knows where. I guess maybe they will be happier without it too.

9. TexasDomer

I don't mind food going all over the tank - it's more realistic to the fish. Rarely does their food sit in one place and wait to be eaten :)

10. OP
    OP
    JRS

True good point!

11. SallImSayin

SallImSayin Valued Member Member

I have 2 sponges and 2 AQ 70s on mine. This time, I've had it for years with different filters, I put them on the same side, so I can have one side where floating plants can chill. Actually I had a 70 and a Tetra and they were still fine because I arranged some vine floaters to keep them in place on one side. The filters blast but the plants aren't displaced. The fish aren't bothered by any of it because I keep the water level high.

Last edited: May 5, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice