Best Way To Remove Algae? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fredbetta86, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Fredbetta86

Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

I have some algae on my 10 gallon tank and I’m trying to find out the best way to get the algae off the glass. I have a magnet scraper but it’s pretty difficult getting in some spots that are close to the substrate. Does anyone know a good way to get the algae off. Also, don’t know how to get the algae behind my heater, HOB filter etc? Do I have to remove them or move them over to get to it? Such a pain!!

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I just scrub my tank down with a toothbrush during every water change. A pain?

Yeah.

3. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

How long do you leave your lighting on? is it ONLY algae on the glass?

You can also get algae cleaning pads that might fit between the hob and glass, or the heater and glass - I bought some for this that arrived right as I started timing my lights to only be on for 2 x 4h slots... amazing, no more glass algae... (though still gotta deal with my staghorn...).

-G

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on the type of algae but removimg manually is usually best

5. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

If it's hard to reach I leave it. I bought a scraper. It came with green scrubby, red plastic, and a thin dull metal insert. Plastic end gets almost everything my magnetic one cant.

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

To prevent algae, try to lower the light.

Whenever you go and scrape off the algae, do a 50% WC after to suck it all out.

Also, you can get a nerite snail(if stocking allows) to help a little with the hard to reach places.

If stocking doesn’t allow a nerite, get a razor scraper.

7. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Also make sure you're not overfeeding your fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice