Best way to raise PH

1. r

racerchaser New Member Member

Had my water tested today at Petco, They told me my PH was low, Below 6.0 thats what the gauge's lowest is. They told me to add Baking Soda? Is this something I should be doing?

2. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

Everything I've read states that it's best to not mess with the ph of your water. Consistency is better and you should look for fish that can thrive in the ph range of your water. Have you tried setting tap water out for 24-48 hours to let it 'gas-out' naturally and see what the natural ph is?

If you have anything in your tank such as driftwood, it lowers the ph. Certain things you can add may also raise the ph like shells and coral sand (which will also make the water harder).

Alternatively you could add Reverse Osmosis water that has a base of 7, though you'll need to replace most of your water for that to be effective. If your tap is lower you'll lower the ph each time you do water changes...it can add up to keep buying RO water unless you get a unit that can make it.

3. MatildaLjungberg

MatildaLjungberg Valued Member Member

There are some safe ways to gently raise & stabilize your Ph. Can you give us more information on your tank & it's occupants? Is your tank cycled? Cycling can interfere with Ph.
    Do you know the Ph of your tap water?

4. OP
    OP
    r

racerchaser New Member Member

I just checked the tap it was 7.6 to 8.0. My tank has been up running for a month and a 1/2. I have 8 tetra's in the tank.

5. MatildaLjungberg

MatildaLjungberg Valued Member Member

What are your Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate readings? If you don't know about the nitrogen cycle click on the link & read up, your tank is probably not cycled.

Trying to get the beneficial bacteria to thrive with such a low Ph will be very difficult. Baking Soda can be used in small amounts to gently raise Ph so that the bacterial colonies can establish. What size is your tank?

6. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

ok, first off, Yes baking soda is a reliable way to raise the alkalinity (or KH as most fish keepers know it) of the water. Alkalinity is the waters ability to be able to buffer itself and maintain a stable pH. If your water has very low alkalinity (or KH) then the crushed coral will become a normality for you. If it is the case as I think it is and that the cycle of the tank itself took a lot of the alkalinity out of the water, a VERY SMALL pinch of baking soda and a good water change should help the problem along nicely.

8. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

When I was cycling my tank, at one point the pH dropped to almost 6, even though my tap water is 7.4 or thereabouts. I changed 2/3 of the water, and it brought the pH back up to about 7.4, and once the tank fully cycled the pH has remained fairly constantly about as high as the tap water. I read that this is normal during cycling for pH to drop low, and then once the pH is as low as 6 the beneficial bacteria no longer multiply until the pH is raised and thus the nitrogen cycle stalls. You had your water tested at Petco. Do you own a test kit? If not yet, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit is great. Your profile states that you do not know yet about the nitrogen cycle, if so, you may want to read about it. My tank was cycled in less than a month, but if your tank stalled due to low pH it is quite possible that it is not cycled yet. I would suggest not adding to baking soda yet, but doing a very big water change, then measuring the pH again, and only adding baking soda if still needed. I had baking soda on standby when my pH dropped this low, but it turned out to be unnecessary. Best!

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I disagree, if you do not know about the nitrogen cycle you must read up on it. It really is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Water/pH section of the forum.

:animal0068:If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This will aid others with their responses. To access the Profile click on Forum Actions close to the top of the screen. In the new screen look to the left and you'll see Edit Profile Information. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

If your aquarium is cycled, I see you have been given links above about the Nitrogen Cycle, then I would suggest increasing your water changes. With a tap pH 7.6 to 8.0, this should be fine for your fish. As time passes pH will naturally drop and by doing frequent water changes you should be able to maintain this level without any chemicals and or additives. Playing around with pH can be risky as sudden changes can be fatal to your fish, especially a sudden drop in pH.

Water changes should be done at the very least weekly and I recommend at least 30 to 50%.

Here is information concerning pH that you may find helpful:
    Properly Maintaining the pH in a Freshwater Aquarium - Rate My Fish Tank

Ken