Best way to raise kh

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Ben0918, Jul 16, 2015.

1. B

Ben0918 New Member Member

Hey guys my kh is very low (1-2 dkh) due to my very soft water here, and I've heard you can use multiple things to help raise it like crushed coral, baking soda, certain lime and cuddlebones for birds. Anyone suggest a certain way and how much at a time?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Geoff you're up gogo!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I used baking soda to raise my pH and then I put crushed coral in a media bag and put it into my filter. Ever since, my pH has remained stable at 7.8.

ETA: My tap water pH is 7.8 but my kH was like 1, so the pH in my tank would crash to 6.0 over a period of a few days.

I added 1 tsp of baking soda into my 36g tank and another teaspoon about 2 hours later until my kH was about 4 or 5.

I used about a half a cup or so of crushed coral. Here's a pic of what I bought. I got it at PetSmart.

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks for the advice @Geoff ! My ph from the tap is about 7.0. I am soon to add a co2 system so this will really help! Also how often do you add the baking soda and how long usually does the coral last?

5. Dom90

Add the baking soda every hour or so, test the KH each time after. The coral usually lasts a long time, I heard about six months or so...

6. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks Dom90 I'll try it!

7. OP
    OP
    B

8. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I don't think you're supposed to keep adding baking soda. I THINK that if you only do a smallish sized water change, like 25-30%, the new water shouldn't mess anything up with your kH. CindiL can correct me if I'm wrong. I only added the baking soda to get up to where I want it to be. The coral keeps it there.

9. OP
    OP
    B

Oh ok thanks!

10. Dom90

Yep baking soda for the initial dose and then crushed corals to hold the KH steady, add more as needed to increase pH

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, agreed. :)
    I'm glad I added the crushed coral to one of my filters because besides KH its holding GH really well. My GH was always falling due to all my plants consuming calcium etc. It wasn't a detriment to the fish but I was adding replenish in every few days, now I don't have to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice