Best way to put water back into the tank?

EchoI

Reaction score
Hey all. Whilst I'm still battling with the horrendous amount of debris floating round and round in the tank, I'm doing lots of water changes siphoning out isn't a problem, but holding 30l of water above my head to siphon back in is getting very tiresome!!

As for the debris, I have a 125l tank with a Fluval 207, I've been changing the polishing pad and in the skimmer as they are constantly dirty, yet it's still all over in the water!

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
An Aqueon or Python water changer that you can hook to the sink would help tremendously. You would lose your your shoulder workout though.

kansas

Reaction score
I have a small submersible pump. I put treated water in a bucket and use a hose and this pump to slowly put water in the tank without it looking like a bomb went off.

It helps that I have small tanks so I;m never putting more than one bucket in any one tank.

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Shoulder workout for me. I do a 30-60% weekly on my 55 first and it's a chore...also because I use the utility sink in the basement down 2 flights of stairs. But, then when we do my kid's smaller tanks (10, 10, 3), it's like nothing at all!!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I fill a pail and then pump the water from the pail into the tank - I got a little spray bar for the hose that connects to the pump to spread out the current in the tank. In my case i'm moving 30 gallons a water change -> tank to pail -> pail to toilet -> sink to pail -> pail to tank.
-
When I had a 40 gallon tank - which is a little larger than 125L - I just used 5 gallon pails and poured it in.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a garden hose from my kitchen sink.

KSo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
We have a submersible pump as well best thing ever! Wish the hose could run from the bathroom to the living room tho lol we still have to hoof the big orange Home Depot bucket back and forth.

OP
E

EchoI

Reaction score
david1978 said:
I use a garden hose from my kitchen sink.
Does this not result in unprimed chlorinated water filling the tank?

kansas said:
I have a small submersible pump. I put treated water in a bucket and use a hose and this pump to slowly put water in the tank without it looking like a bomb went off.

It helps that I have small tanks so I;m never putting more than one bucket in any one tank.

Hi, what pump do you use please?

kansas

Reaction score
EchoI said:
Does this not result in unprimed chlorinated water filling the tank?

There are a million on ebay, like these: submersible pump aquarium | eBay

kansas

Reaction score
I use a small one, I have to put the bucket of clean water on a stool next to the tank cause it won't lift all the way from the floor.

It's a small tank so this is no problem. A more powerful pump will lift water from a bucket on the floor.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KSo said:
We have a submersible pump as well best thing ever! Wish the hose could run from the bathroom to the living room tho lol we still have to hoof the big orange Home Depot bucket back and forth.
Same, but still better than holding the full bucket up while slowly emptying it into the tank. Lucky I only have to move three bucketloads from the kitchen sink to the tank and it takes only 5min for the pump to move the water into the tank. Chill way to do it.

KSo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
EchoI said:
I have zero knowledge about this pump, my boyfriend had it in the basement from another hobby he tried his hand at lol

image.jpg

MacZ said:
Same, but still better than holding the full bucket up while slowly emptying it into the tank. Lucky I only have to move three bucketloads from the kitchen sink to the tank and it takes only 5min for the pump to move the water into the tank. Chill way to do it.
Haha, I’m complaining but we only have to move two full buckets from the living room to the bathroom. If we had to do the bucket over the side it would be a disaster! Our tank has just the glass rim, the first few days when we were just checking the seal, I had nightmares of dropping the bucket weird and crashing the tank to the ground So glad my boyfriend has borderline hoarder tendencies (sometimes lol) this pump is key!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon pail; I fill it from the tank - pump the water from the pail to the toilet; fill the pail from a hose under the sink; put prime in the pail; if needed during the winter heat the water in the pail; fill the tank with a pump from the pail. It takes a while - I suppose a larger pump would move more water faster and doing something about that flow limiter in the bathroom would let me fill the pail faster but during the pump time I can spend triming plants; cleaning filters and what have you.
-
I used this pump:

with generic 1/2 inch tubing. It works - though I would consider a stronger pump next time.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom