Best Way To Photograph Fish?

cm11599ps

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's the best way to photograph your fish with a basic digital camera? Room lights on'off? Tank lights on/off day/night etc...

Hoyo12

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, all lights off, besides the tank light, at night.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I take mine either way....nite/day/lights on/lights off...but the biggest thing is see if your camera has a macro setting..which is a little icon that looks like a flower that's where I get the best shots

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All lights off except for the tank light. That will help cut down on reflections against the front glass. You may even need to blackout any windows. Macro is a wonderful tool for close up work on your fish. Using the flash for a higher shutter speed is also a good thing if your camera does not have a manual shutter speed adjustment. With the flash on you will need to take pics on an angle to the glass so that the flash does not just reflect back at the camera & ruin the shot.

Slug

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree, wait until dusk/night, turn room lights and other lights off. Leave tank light on. AI'm the camera with a slight downward angle towards the subject, this helps reduce flash feedback off the back glass. Use rocks, wood, and plants in the tank to your advantage for a flash absorbing background.

New Threads