Best Way To Photograph Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by cm11599ps, Mar 17, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

What's the best way to photograph your fish with a basic digital camera? Room lights on'off? Tank lights on/off day/night etc...

2. Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

IMO, all lights off, besides the tank light, at night.

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I take mine either way....nite/day/lights on/lights off...but the biggest thing is see if your camera has a macro setting..which is a little icon that looks like a flower ;) thats where I get the best shots :)

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

All lights off except for the tank light. That will help cut down on reflections against the front glass. You may even need to blackout any windows. Macro is a wonderful tool for close up work on your fish. Using the flash for a higher shutter speed is also a good thing if your camera does not have a manual shutter speed adjustment. With the flash on you will need to take pics on an angle to the glass so that the flash does not just reflect back at the camera & ruin the shot.

5. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Agree, wait until dusk/night, turn room lights and other lights off. Leave tank light on. Aim the camera with a slight downward angle towards the subject, this helps reduce flash feedback off the back glass. Use rocks, wood, and plants in the tank to your advantage for a flash absorbing background.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice