Best Way To Move Aquariums?

Paige98

Valued Member
Reaction score
I found a bed bug in my bed and now we have to leave with all our pets so my house can be heat treated. I have two 10 gallon tanks one planted and both have bettas in them. What is the quickest/least stressful way of moving tanks cause I’ll have to do it twice within a few days. Help!!!

tropicalkeeper

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Paige98 said:
I found a bed bug in my bed and now we have to leave with all our pets so my house can be heat treated. I have two 10 gallon tanks one planted and both have bettas in them. What is the quickest/least stressful way of moving tanks cause I’ll have to do it twice within a few days. Help!!!
Are they doing the heat treatment or pesticides. If they are doing heat treatment to your home then anything living has to be out, if doing sprays you can get by with covering your tank with a damp towel ,, be sure to cover filter also. I had to deal with this problem a month ago had to break down 2 tanks completely . Good thing is in my 20 gal I had an infestation of river snail and so I left some water and gravel in it and the snail got cooked. Sorry your having this problem.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You might be better off just taking it down, or doing your best by moving it.
If you can find something that is level with the surface the tank is standing on (like a cart or something with wheels) I would try to slide the (water emptied) tank onto the other the cart, and wheel it away.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My 2 cents. If it’s heat treatment, can’t you just leave the tanks behind? Or would that wreck the seals/kill the plants.

tropicalkeeper

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2211Nighthawk said:
My 2 cents. If it’s heat treatment, can’t you just leave the tanks behind? Or would that wreck the seals/kill the plants.
It will kill plants but tank will be fine.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as it isn't over 15lbs of substrate support the tank on a flat surface (i have carried many a ten gallon with gravel in it, about 9-10lbs without issue). Most ten gallon tanks can hold a considerable amount of weight on the glass without breaking, but to be safe support and have as little weight as possible.

Paige98

Valued Member
Reaction score
2211Nighthawk said:
The exterminator told me it could ruin the seals so I need to remove them completely

UPDATE

I have decided to go with the 5 gallon bucket method and leave my planted tank filled with water in my shed.

They seem to be adjusting well to the buckets. Thanks for all your suggestions this has probably been one of the worst weeks of my life and losing one of my water babies would just be icing on the cake.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom