Best way to move a tank

1. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Ok so if my cory eggs hatch, I'm going to have to move a tank. Im going to move Jenks 5gal into my sons room, and put a 10 in the spot the 5 is currently. Jenks will be upgraded into the 10 and the babies will go into the 5. I want to keep the water from the 5 in the 5 though. Its got some infusoria in it that will be good for the babies. The question is, how to do this without losing the tank. Its gotten quite pretty the way its planted and growing in, and i don't want to lose that. Is there a good way to do this? Ive got everything for the 10, but it wont fit in my sons room. Only the 5 will. That and i think Jenks would be sad if he couldn't watch Trublood with me, so he should go in the 10 and stay in the living room. I would just put the babies in with Jenks but the way hes been trying to hatch baby snails I'm afraid he would try to keep them in a bubblenest. Lol.

Ok so i need a tank moving plan in the event its needed. Don't worry about cycle, im using a cycled filter from the 20 (the old HOB, i kept it on running while the canister built up bb) and the substrate will be activflora which has always boosted my cycle. Its just a matter of moving tank A to spot B, tank B to spot A but keeping the water for A in A and then moving Jenks from A to B. How have you done this before, whats the best way?

2. bwreynolds Member Member

I'd personally just pick it up as is and move it 5 gallons only weighs about 50lbs... I've moved my ten gallon many times just by picking it up and putting it wherever. If you must take water out just treat it as if it were a water change

3. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Wouldnt that be bad for the glass? It sounds like moving it full would stress it?

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Empty as much water as you can from the tank but leave enough for the plants and fish, about 2 or 3 inches. leaving too much water in there might cause it to crack or spring a leak somewhere.

5. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Thats what i though. Ok. Im only doing it if the eggs hatch, so if they do ill be moving everything. Otherwise its going to stay as is for now.

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I would siphon the water into a bucket, move the tank and siphon it back in, if you are wanting to keep all of it.x