Best way to lower light level for 55 Gallon tank?

1. Kaiji Initiate Member

Hey guys, since I bought my tank I wanted to invest in all sorts of cool ways of lighting my tank. In the end I just used a shop light that is directly above the tank, as the length of the light and tank were exactly the same. I don't mind the light, but sometimes I wonder if it's too intense for my babys :(. Does anyone have any good recommendations on ways to lower light? I used my wife's scarf to put under the light (It's intensely thin) and it casts a pretty and dim light. Any other recommendations?

Here's an example. I took it with a webcam, so the picture is hardly accurate. Still, it may give a good idea.
    [​IMG]

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

You could buy floating plants then the fry can hide and it will dim the lights.

3. Fall River Member Member

A full tank shot (including the light) would be very helpful. A four foot shop light usually has two tubes. You could remove one tube and cut the lighting in half. Another option is to raise the fixture above the tank. Further from the tank = less light. :)

4. Kaiji Initiate Member

That would be helpful, thank you for the suggestion :)

It's always better when you have more than one person working together. I don't know why or how I over looked to do that. That made an instant difference (removing one light). Now I need a way to hang the light above the tank rather than have it sit directly above it.

5. Fall River Member Member

There are suspension kits available for hanging the fixtures. You should be able to find it where you purchased the light. :)

6. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

You can also replace the bulb to a lower wattage.

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You can always raise the light above the tank higher, this will allow more light to escape before entering the tank.

Personally I like the idea of lifting the light slightly and adding some floating plants. The plants will also aid in nitrate removal.