Best way to layer Substrate?

AutomnR

Hey guys,

I have a few tanks I want to scape but I want to do it correctly and one at a time. I want to layer my substrate and make hills and valleys for my Bettas to explore.

I have pea gravel from home depot, it is rounded, Eco Complete, Seachem Flourite, and Fluval stratum that I plan on using, and potentially sand.

My question what is the best/proper layering of substrate? Are there any do's and don'ts when layering? Like what should go on the bottom versus the top? I have read not to layer stratum but would it be fine if it were put as the top layer? What is the best layer order, in your own opinion/experience? I just need some more direct answers than I am finding online.

I was thinking of putting the pea gravel on the bottom to build up the hills where I want them then adding Seachem Flourite or eco complete then Fluval Stratum on the top. Does this sound okay, should I change the order?

I have seen a lot of websites and videos stating putting sand on the top for aesthetic purposes but frankly I am not worried about aesthetics, I just want my fish to have the best tank he can with live plants that are thriving. I plan to put the substrate in and then do the dry start method to get carpeting plants growing before flooding it and adding the taller plants, so having any specific substrate on top for aesthetics is not a concern, where ever there is not carpeting plants I was planning on putting the pea gravel as it will be easy on the fins as my Bettas like to swim along the bottom and dragging their fins.

Any help or advice regarding layer substrate would be soooo greatly appreciated!! (even if it doesn't include the type of substrates I have I will gladly get what is needed)

Bgreen82

I think you have the right idea with your layering. I would put the stratum and eco under the fluorite purely because it’s not as “dirty” when disturbed and I love the look of fluorite. So, base layers, nutrient layers, toppers or aesthetic choice. You can leave any of these substrates exposed and you will be just fine, try mixing it up and see if you like the texture and look of it :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
90 Gallon Tank New to Substrate Layering
Replies
Views
MoshJosh
Replies
Views
lilirose
Replies
Views
wateriswet