Best way to keep stable temperature

Aguasfrescas

So I had been using one of the submersible Aqueon flat heaters. At my old house I lived in a room below ground. It was much cooler and this heater had to work to maintain a consistent 80. I believe moving to a warmer above ground area this heater either cannot adjust or is faulty in another way as I have seen my temp as high as 85 and as low as 75 while plugged in.
My question is how severe of temperature fluctuations can a betta handle in the short term? And what can I do to maintain a more consistent temperature? I have bought a different submersible heater with a knob and thermostat and I have a sinking thermometer on one end of tank and a floating on the other

BigManAquatics

I tried a flat heater once, too inconsistent. Depending on size of tank, i think a 50 watt adjustable heater will do well to keep the temp stable.

Upvote 0

Aguasfrescas

I tried a flat heater once, too inconsistent. Depending on size of tank, i think a 50 watt adjustable heater will do well to keep the temp stable.
Okay so I think what I just got is 50 watt. I have an eight gallon tank and so far which has just been three days this adjustable heater works much better. So would where I put this heater in my aquarium be significant or no?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Okay so I think what I just got is 50 watt. I have an eight gallon tank and so far which has just been three days this adjustable heater works much better. So would where I put this heater in my aquarium be significant or no?
It can. I try to put them near the filter intake of an HOB or near the sponge filter so the warmer water can distribute a lot faster.

Upvote 0

Aguasfrescas

It can. I try to put them near the filter intake of an HOB or near the sponge filter so the warmer water can distribute a lot faster.
Thank you that’s really helpful never thought of that.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

In addition to the general location, I like to put them horizontal, or at least angled, near the bottom of the tank so there's no need to unplug them when doing typical water changes (and then remembering to plug them in again).

Upvote 0

Aguasfrescas

In addition to the general location, I like to put them horizontal, or at least angled, near the bottom of the tank so there's no need to unplug them when doing typical water changes (and then remembering to plug them in again).
Have yet to try that and I think Cloud would enjoy it more that way. He’s been swimming all around it and using it as cover lol

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Msdp11009
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Help with the heater!
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies