Best way to go about doing this? Quarentine

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

So I finally found some Panda Corydora's they have been in QT for about a week.
    I've also been waiting for some more Otocinclus after buying one and shortly after that all my LFS around here have been on an Oto Dry Spell.
    Finally got the call today that Otocinclus came in a few days ago. Problem is I have my cories 1 week in and don't want to keep them in QT longer than necessary because of the bottom material. Its not jagged, its round just not as fine grained as i'd like it to be for them.
    I don't know if I should add the Oto's and just add another week to QT and hope they're not carrying anything the Corydora's could get?

Any advice on maybe how I should go about doing this??

Thanks

2. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Where did you get your Panda Cory's from? If its the same LFS you are getting the Oto's from then I wouldn't worry about QT time together. I wouldn't push the limits on any QT. One sick fish can lead to many!

3. fishingdeep Member Member

Once again, you want to push the QT time like others have done. How did that work for them? The QT is to protect the fish you already have and save you money for all the drugs you may/ maybe add by error. Why not just be safe?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have to admit I haven't quarantined as most of my fish have come from breeders that I trust & I have never had any problems.
    Lfs fish are a different thing, they're dealing with hundreds of fish every week from often many sources so the risk of disease is much higher.
    If the Oto's have only just come into the store I'd ask them to reserve the number you want & leave them in the store for at least a week to settle as they'll already be stressed from shipping & to move them again only a day or so later will add to that stress.
    When you do go to get them observe them for a while, are they active, do they have nice round bellies, do all the fish in the tank look healthy?
    If so then then they should be ok with the pandas but Oto's can keel over for apparently no reason so be prepared for that.