Best Way To Get White Guppies?

  • Thread starter

FishGirly

Valued Member
Messages
192
Reaction score
83
Points
38
ok so I saw some nice guppies at a local fish store. They only have males though. The females they have are colorful. I visited another one of my local fish farm also and they said they won’t be getting white guppies for a while. They said to check back in in three weeks but that they don’t know it it’ll be in shipment.


I was wondering if I was to breed the white male to a color female guppy , which color would be best to try and get whites in future generations?


It’s not to sell. I just want an all white guppy tank

There will be culling, giving away and rehoming of any other color combinations that are born.
 

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Messages
766
Reaction score
420
Points
98
Experience
2 years
emeraldking might know
 

SM1199

Well Known Member
Messages
1,102
Reaction score
933
Points
148
Experience
2 years
When dealing with males you like but no suitable females, usually people will go for the plainest, boring brown (ideally light brown in your case) females. If you can, I'd say you should look around your other LFSs to see if they just have plain old uncolored female guppies. Quarantine your white males and plain females separately, of course, and if I were you I'd probably cull/give away any fry those females have in quarantine because they won't be useful to you. Then I would begin the long tiring process of crossing your plain females with your white males, and crossing back their female offspring to the white males again and again. I'm not sure if you'll ever get offspring that look exactly like the white males, but you will probably get close. In my experience, I produced some decent yellow leopards just in the first generation of crossing one pure yellow leopard with a random female.

Maybe someone else can offer a better solution, but this is what comes to mind for me.
 

Jimmie93

Well Known Member
Messages
517
Reaction score
159
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can buy them on eBay but shipping cost like $25.
 
  • Thread starter

FishGirly

Valued Member
Messages
192
Reaction score
83
Points
38
Jimmie93 said:
You can buy them on eBay but shipping cost like $25.
Oof yeah I was searching around. I was able to find a couple of listing but they were like $35+ and I’m not sure I want to pay for that just yet.
I also see a lot of albinos, which is not exactly what I want ( the eyes are a bit spooky to me ).
 
  • Thread starter

FishGirly

Valued Member
Messages
192
Reaction score
83
Points
38
SM1199 said:
When dealing with males you like but no suitable females, usually people will go for the plainest, boring brown (ideally light brown in your case) females. If you can, I'd say you should look around your other LFSs to see if they just have plain old uncolored female guppies. Quarantine your white males and plain females separately, of course, and if I were you I'd probably cull/give away any fry those females have in quarantine because they won't be useful to you. Then I would begin the long tiring process of crossing your plain females with your white males, and crossing back their female offspring to the white males again and again. I'm not sure if you'll ever get offspring that look exactly like the white males, but you will probably get close. In my experience, I produced some decent yellow leopards just in the first generation of crossing one pure yellow leopard with a random female.

Maybe someone else can offer a better solution, but this is what comes to mind for me.
Light brown like feeder guppies?
If so , are feeder guppies a good option to try out?
 

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Messages
1,658
Reaction score
1,562
Points
248
Experience
More than 10 years
Commercially worldwide the socalled snow white guppies (which are mostly roundtail shaped and a short dorsal), only the males are available.

Best option to get as close to white in the shortest time, is to use virgin blonde females (and be sure that these females are genotypically pure blondes). Preferably with clear fins (so, no coloratio in their fins). And they should be recessive for the genes of their own strain. But future offspring do need culling for a couple of generations. But the ratio blonde based males with a total cover of white will be present.

The ones below are japan blanco guppies. But the snow whites can be reproduced the same way.
DSCF0307.JPG
 
  • Thread starter

FishGirly

Valued Member
Messages
192
Reaction score
83
Points
38
emeraldking said:
Commercially worldwide the socalled snow white guppies (which are mostly roundtail shaped and a short dorsal), only the males are available.

Best option to get as close to white in the shortest time, is to use virgin blonde females (and be sure that these females are genotypically pure blondes). Preferably with clear fins (so, no coloratio in their fins). And they should be recessive for the genes of their own strain. But future offspring do need culling for a couple of generations. But the ratio blonde based males with a total cover of white will be present.

The ones below are japan blanco guppies. But the snow whites can be reproduced the same way.
DSCF0307.JPG
That’s how the guppies I saw looked! They had the white body and tiny spot of yellow in their heads. Thank you for posting this picture. When you say “only the males are available” do you mean that they only sale the males, or that it’s not possible to ever get a female that color trying to reproduce?
 

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Messages
1,658
Reaction score
1,562
Points
248
Experience
More than 10 years
FishGirly said:
That’s how the guppies I saw looked! They had the white body and tiny spot of yellow in their heads. Thank you for posting this picture. When you say “only the males are available” do you mean that they only sale the males, or that it’s not possible to ever get a female that color trying to reproduce?
The yellow on their heads is the original body color. They're blonde bodied (or based).

Well, the commercial trade offers only the males. With some other strains they do the same thing.

Blonde females with clear fins are the best option to use to reproduce male offspring which will color up white. But be sure that those females are recessive for the characteristics of their own strain. And of course, they should be clean ( means that they're not storing any sperm packages of another male). Best is to use virgin females.
Blonde female which show also red in their fins, should not be used. For it will take a lot longer after a couple of generations to reproduce whites. For red on blonde is a dominant trait.
Also blonde females with clear fins belonging to a platinum strain or even with a störzbach gene can be used as well.
Besides blonde based, also a blue based ( so, not the cover color but the base color) female can be used. But blue based are harder to get your hands on.


Below: A blue based female
livebearer4 295.jpg

Below: A blonde based female with clear fins
livebearer5 194.jpg


And results as such is something you may expect... But culling in the coming generations is in need to enhance the full white coloration.
japan blanco 066.jpg


I would start to focus on the white first. If you'd like to create a big tailed guppy, than that should be the second step to make.

It may take some time investment but for sure worth the effort...
 
  • Thread starter

FishGirly

Valued Member
Messages
192
Reaction score
83
Points
38
emeraldking said:
The yellow on their heads is the original body color. They're blonde bodied (or based).

Well, the commercial trade offers only the males. With some other strains they do the same thing.

Blonde females with clear fins are the best option to use to reproduce male offspring which will color up white. But be sure that those females are recessive for the characteristics of their own strain. And of course, they should be clean ( means that they're not storing any sperm packages of another male). Best is to use virgin females.
Blonde female which show also red in their fins, should not be used. For it will take a lot longer after a couple of generations to reproduce whites. For red on blonde is a dominant trait.
Also blonde females with clear fins belonging to a platinum strain or even with a störzbach gene can be used as well.
Besides blonde based, also a blue based ( so, not the cover color but the base color) female can be used. But blue based are harder to get your hands on.


Below: A blue based female
livebearer4 295.jpg

Below: A blonde based female with clear fins
livebearer5 194.jpg


And results as such is something you may expect... But culling in the coming generations is in need to enhance the full white coloration.
japan blanco 066.jpg


I would start to focus on the white first. If you'd like to create a big tailed guppy, than that should be the second step to make.

It may take some time investment but for sure worth the effort...
Thank you so much for all your information and the pictures! You have been most helpful! This will be my first time trying to actually breed for a specific color. I’m going to stop by tomorrow at a couple of stores to pick some females up.

Also, I know they sell the males and thats all I ever see.
If I try and breed is it possible to get females looking all white as well? Or is this only a male trait?. Sorry to ask, I feel like it’s a silly question but I really don’t know.

I usually try to get egg baring fish as to no get overcrowding or unexpected babies... but things change and I want to try it. ( I really would love a white guppy sorority ).


Do you by any chance sell your guppies?
 

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Messages
1,658
Reaction score
1,562
Points
248
Experience
More than 10 years
FishGirly said:
Thank you so much for all your information and the pictures! You have been most helpful! This will be my first time trying to actually breed for a specific color. I’m going to stop by tomorrow at a couple of stores to pick some females up.

Also, I know they sell the males and thats all I ever see.
If I try and breed is it possible to get females looking all white as well? Or is this only a male trait?. Sorry to ask, I feel like it’s a silly question but I really don’t know.

I usually try to get egg baring fish as to no get overcrowding or unexpected babies... but things change and I want to try it. ( I really would love a white guppy sorority ).


Do you by any chance sell your guppies?
With blue based females, there's more chance to create (after a number of generations) females that will turn white. With blonde, the females will remain blonde no matter the number of generations. Some may show a small spot of white which will be concentrated on the caudal penducle or chest. But that's all. And if this happens, the blonde females must have the störzbach gene or the platinum gene in them.

I do sell, but I'm not quite near you. I live in the Netherlands.
 
  • Thread starter

FishGirly

Valued Member
Messages
192
Reaction score
83
Points
38
Update: I got the white betta :D
I also got one one blond guppy. Looks to be female, but might be a juvenile male. Hoping it’s a girl. Also he/she is looking a bit more yellow in color than your picture so I probably got the wrong sort of blond. I couldn’t find any other guppies similar to your examples and the place that does have them won’t be getting them until next week. So I’ll try then.

The ratio was a bit off with just one on one , su I picked up a couple of feeder guppies until I fill the gaps. I went to a bunch of locations and I could only find that one white Guppy and that one yellow.



I’m making a mess of this but hey it’s my first time and I’ll see how it goes.
 

Tsago

New Member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
1
But be sure that those females are recessive for the characteristics of their own strain.
But how can I know that? Is there some way to be sure?
Also would it be effective to use pink magenta female with a white male?
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom