Best way to get rid of bba

Ssnaaiil

What is the best way to get rid of bba? I saw some on a couple leaves of my crypt so I cut those leaves off. I’m sure I’ll find more soon. So what’s the best way to combat bba? I have plants in my tank, shrimp, snails and fish. Plants that I have are crypt, a few different anubias, java fern, a couple buce, moss balls, jungle Val and water lettuce

Pfrozen

I gave up and ordered a Siamese Algae Eater I tried overdosing my tank with excel (literal 10x overdose) and my nitrates are limited due to a big pothos vine and guppy grass. There shouldn't even be algae anymore but alas it is still there. imo its impossible unless you are a secret wizard so I would just buy a SAE if you have the room

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

What is the best way to get rid of bba? I saw some on a couple leaves of my crypt so I cut those leaves off. I’m sure I’ll find more soon. So what’s the best way to combat bba? I have plants in my tank, shrimp, snails and fish. Plants that I have are crypt, a few different anubias, java fern, a couple buce, moss balls, jungle Val and water lettuce
Here is a video that will explain everything and it is a must-watch!

Upvote 0

Ssnaaiil

Here is a video that will explain everything and it is a must-watch!
Thanks. Does anyone know if I spot treat my plants with hydrogen peroxide while the plants are still in the tank, would my fish, shrimp and snails be ok?

Upvote 0

Fishowner24

Thanks. Does anyone know if I spot treat my plants with hydrogen peroxide while the plants are still in the tank, would my fish, shrimp and snails be ok?
Just replying so I can stay updated on the forum I have the same question.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Also dealing with a teany tiny bit of bba. Interested to see comments, following.

Upvote 0

brhau

Yes, you can spot treat in the tank, especially if there isn’t much of it. Just be careful not to squirt your animals, as it’s pretty caustic before it’s neutralized. Turn off your pump and try to minimize water movement when you do it. It might take a few days before it turns pink and dies.

Upvote 0

Fishowner24

Yes, you can spot treat in the tank, especially if there isn’t much of it. Just be careful not to squirt your animals, as it’s pretty caustic before it’s neutralized. Turn off your pump and try to minimize water movement when you do it. It might take a few days before it turns pink and dies.
ok what about flourish excel also how often can you dose it? Thanks!

Upvote 0

brhau

Same, you can do it every day if you want. I usually just spot treat, and I try to do it early in the photoperiod and not at night.

Upvote 0

Fishowner24

Same, you can do it every day if you want. I usually just spot treat, and I try to do it early in the photoperiod and not at night.
ok is 3ml a day fine? thanks!

Upvote 0

FishDin

I tried H202. It definitely annoyed the BBA, but it would grow back in the same spot. I tried spot treating Excel. It did nothing. I tried soaking plants in Excel over night. It didn't bother the BBA or the plants. I tried spot treating with 2HR Aquarist Fix, and it worked great and I continue to use it for the occasional BBA.

Obviously none of this addresses the cause of BBA.

FWIW: I run nitrates around 5ppm and lights at a medium setting for 7-8hr/day.
Decreasing light intensity and duration was the first thing I did to combat the BBA. That took care of most of it. Low tech tank

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Ian Tankers
  • Algae
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
SotaAquatics
  • Question