Best Way To Get Ph From 7.4 To 7.0?

92Hughes92

Running some tests the last couple of days and it looks like my aquarium PH is a bit higher than I want it to be. Using the API freshwater master test kit, my readings are coming in ~ 7.4. I really would like this to be down to 7.0.

I ran the test kit on my tap, water which I use for water changes after conditioning with seachem, and that's right between 6.8 & 7.0.

I read online adding some peat moss to the filter could help, but my concern is doing too much of that and having my tank's PH plummet. I don't want to put chemicals in the tank. Would prefer I lower it naturally. Not sure if adding something like or would help.

Appreciate the advice!

Tank background:
- 40 gallons
- 0 ammonia || 0 nitrite || 10 nitrate
- 3 live plants, two fake plants (in process of replacing), bubble wall
- Marineland 200 & Fluval aquaclear 50 both running
- 15-20% water changes weekly, gravel vacuum bi-weekly

OP
92Hughes92

92Hughes92

SixThreeOh said:
Get a decent sized piece of driftwood then don't worry about pH anymore.
Worried about overcrowding. Anything smaller? That's why I was originally drawn to the moss.

abarb

Well Known
What fish are you keeping? Most (if not all) fish can adapt to different ph especially if it is not much different.

OP
92Hughes92

92Hughes92

abarb said:
Do you know what is causing the ph to go up?
Not sure. It's pretty much always at 7.4, despite entering at 7.0.

OP
92Hughes92

92Hughes92

abarb said:
Do you have any rocks? What's your substrate?
No rocks. I have two live plants and two fake ones. The substrate is just gravel. I purchased (arriving today) flourished tabs to put across the bottom of the tank to give the plant's roots nutrients. There is a shipwreck decoration. Photo attached

Attachments

OP
92Hughes92

92Hughes92

abarb said:
It could be the oxygen reducing co2 and raising ph.
I didn't think of this. I just turned off my bubbler/air stone that runs throughout the back of the tank (as seen in the photo). I'll keep that off for the rest of the day, then run a test in the morning to see if the PH dropped, assuming I would be able to tell that quickly.

If it does drop to a 6.8 or 7.0, would this be something where I should only run the airstone at specific times? For example during the day, then have it turn off at night? Or should I get a less-power/smaller airstone? I've had the stone running 24/7 since I had the tank.

irow

SixThreeOh said:
Get a decent sized piece of driftwood then don't worry about pH anymore.
Gonna disagree with you here, driftwood doesn't really have any noticeable effect on pH unless the water is insanely soft or it takes half of the water volume. I would recommend peat moss or almond leaves as others have mentioned before. They leech slowly into the water, so the change won't be sudden.

New Threads