Best Way To Fill My Internal Filter With Media

PeterFishKeepin

Hi all,

I have a 20gal high with 2 medium sized internal filters.

They one has been cycled for months and the other for atleast a couple years. I recently needed to add crushed coral to increase my tank pH and it got me wondering what the best way to fill my filter with media is.

I currently only have access to coarse sponge, filter floss, carbon and crushed coral.

I normally put coarse sponge closest to the intake, filter floss in the middle and I used to use carbon before I was able to get crushed coral.

So now for one of the filters I do 1 piece of coarse sponge, 1 piece of filter floss and then a bag of crushed coral then another filter floss piece.

On the 2nd filter because i need to raise my pH I do coarse sponge then bag of crushed coral and a small filter floss?

Is this ok as a filter media range or do you think i'm missing a good piece of media that would greatly increase my filtration efficiency and the amount of beneficial bacteria?

I dont have great access to media types so I was wondering if this was good enough to properly filtrate and grow beneficial bacteria? What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for all help in advanced! :)

BigManAquatics

Sometimes i think people fall prey to overthinking on filter media, like every other aspect of the hobby!! I usually just use sponge filters, but when i do use a mechanical filter, i tend towards a sponge, floss and something to catch the finer better. Though sometimes the floss does that well if it has the white backing on it as well.

PeterFishKeepin

Thank you, you have encouraged me to not be so worried I'll keep it as it is for now. Wouldn't you say having crushed coral skeletons in there is a great spot for the good bacteria to grow as it hasn't lots of pores and holes and edges for it to grow? Kinda like a natural media ball?

BigManAquatics

I would think so. Similar to lava rock and the like for sure.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Golden Magikarp
Replies
Views
sfsamm
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
Replies