Best Way To Feed Plecos

1. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

Hey guys I have two plecos in my tank and they are doing great I bought them a pack of algae wafers but the thing is before they get to it the others in my tank go crazy for it and plecos being timid never get a chance
    The only way I get to feed them is by cucumbers all of my fish including the plecos love it
    So any ideas how I'd get those plecos to try the wafers?

Thanks

2. kuhlkid

kuhlkid Valued Member Member

Try hiding them? I have barbs and a pleco, and hide pieces of wafer in some caves along the bottom that, for now, the pleco can fit in and the barbs can't. Do you have anywhere you could safely tuck away some treats? Your other fish will smell them, but if you're clever about it, you should be able to deter them from eating the whole thing :)

3. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

one question though. what kind of plecos do you have and what size aquarium

4. OP
    OP
    Faris101

Yes I do have a decor in my tank where these two always hang out when not foraging maybe I'll try putting a wafer there but I have to be quick because the others can see where I'm putting them

Thanks for the reply

5. shiv234

remember they usually eat at might to..and size is your tank and what breed are they

6. OP
    OP
    Faris101

Well my tank is 12 gallons and they are just common plecos around 6cm in length

7. shiv234

i hope you know common plecos reach 2 feet long and they get aggressive in small aquariums and their bio load will kill your fish eventually even with daily water changes

please rehome them

8. OP
    OP
    Faris101

Of course but right now they are pretty small and I haven't had problems so far when they bigger definitely gonna rehome them or give it back to the local fish store

9. shiv234

i
    I would give them back now as the bioload is too much for the aquairum to hande unless you have a canister

10. OP
    OP
    Faris101

I have a multiple filter media bioballs ceramic rings and wool and sponge

11. shiv234

oh..ok but you still have the ability to stunt it in that small tank and hope you have driftwood as they can get constipates without it

12. kuhlkid

I understand the urge to keep them until they get "too big" (which I say in quotes because a common pleco is already too big), but it's a dangerous game to keep such an enormous fish in such a small tank. Their bioload scales to what they'll grow to, so even now, they're putting a huge amount of waste into your water. That waste will put undue stress on all the tank's inhabitants, the pleco included.

It's also important to stress that keeping a fish in a container too small for it can stunt their growth, shortening spines and inhibiting mobility. This has fed into the myth that fish grow to the tank they're in. The truth is that the fish is deformed by being in a tank that's too small.

And, if you wait until the fish is "too big" before rehoming, it may easily get sick. Stress will leave it susceptible to fin rot, parasites, all number of maladies. It may spread these to the rest of your tank, and if your fish isn't in good condition, you won't be able to rehome it.

If you can, please take this fish to a local store that will keep and sell it responsibly--so, not the store you got it from. If you're able to upgrade your tank sometime in the future to a 30gal, you could keep a bristlenose pleco very happily! I adore plecos, and the commons can be really beautiful, with their dramatic fins and patterning. But the healthiest thing for this fish is not your tank, and the healthiest thing for your tank is not this fish.

13. shiv234

well said

14. kuhlkid

I have to correct myself: THESE fish. Having two common plecos in your tank doubles everything I've mentioned above. Please rehome them both as soon as you can. This is a really common (haha?) misstep in the hobby, and a lot of us have been where you are now, so I hope you don't feel attacked by these assertions. But you've still got a great chance to do right by your fish, which is a really great thing to take full advantage of :)