Best Way To Feed My Bristlenose Pleco Without The Other Fish Eating It All Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinaJen

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My 2 Molly's keep eating all the veggies and alge wafers I put in the tank before the pleco can get to it.

Tommy1284

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine do the exact same thing. I started putting in the wafers at night when the lights are off

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mollies will eat anything, either target feed when the mollies are distracted or well after lights go out so the mollies are in a sleep state.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Boil some zucchini and use a fork and stick it into the tank. The pleco will come out and eat that.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally haven't had an issue with this...
My Cherry Barbs just pick the sinking food, and then leave it alone.

I would do the zucchini, or any other squash vegetable.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you leave the light on for more than 12 hours they eat the algea that grows
Technically they'll stop eating the algae after awhile. Also they'll eat it so fast that the tank won't be able to produce it fast enough.

Besides a pleco shouldn't be purchased for solely to eat the algae, one must be able to feed it as well.

TinaJen

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Technically they'll stop eating the algae after awhile. Also they'll eat it so fast that the tank won't be able to produce it fast enough.

Besides a pleco shouldn't be purchased for solely to eat the algae, one must be able to feed it as well.
That's my problem I want to be able to feed it veg and pellets but my mollies are eating it instead and shooing the poor guy away. Im going to try throwing in some veg after the lights are off for a few hours when the other fish are asleep. I'm hopeful it'd work, thank guys.

Oliver T.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's my problem I want to be able to feed it veg and pellets but my mollies are eating it instead and shooing the poor guy away. Im going to try throwing in some veg after the lights are off for a few hours when the other fish are asleep. I'm hopeful it'd work, thank guys.
use slices of zucchini

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As previously stated on 4/13, blanch some zucchini and toss it into the tank. You might need to stick a fork in it but leave it there and that pleco will munch on it like it was in a buffet.

Phillip J. Fry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cut a slice of zucchini, use a waffer to wedge a small hole in the zuccihini (or cucuber) till its wedged in there. (I cut small slices smaller than the waffer and put it in kind of like a button) get a salad clip....one of those plastic clips with the suction cups and clip the whole thing in (you can clip the edge of the waffer to help hold it) and stick it close to where the pleco likes to sit on glass near the bottom with waffer next to the glass. That way he can hide behind the veggie and the other fish can't get to it. Or get a log that the pleco can swim through but others cant and hide the waffer under it. (But thats harder to clean) that's what helped my pleco eat them.

I have a cheese slicer and cut my veggies like thick slices of cheese btw. That was just easiest way to cut and weigh it down for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishaholic87

Valued Member
Reaction score
ive had my pleco for 2 years and never fed it anything it just eats the algae it cant keep up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom