Best Way To Feed My Bristlenose Pleco Without The Other Fish Eating It All Up

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by TinaJen, Apr 13, 2018.

1. T

TinaJen New Member Member

My 2 Molly's keep eating all the veggies and alge wafers I put in the tank before the pleco can get to it.

2. Tommy1284

Tommy1284 Valued Member Member

Mine do the exact same thing. I started putting in the wafers at night when the lights are off

3. DCL415

DCL415 Valued Member Member

Feed at night when the lights are off, or feed some rapashy

4. OP
    OP
    T

Okay thanks I'll try that.

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Mollies will eat anything, either target feed when the mollies are distracted or well after lights go out so the mollies are in a sleep state.

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Boil some zucchini and use a fork and stick it into the tank. The pleco will come out and eat that.

7. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

I most have bully BN plecos. No other fish is allowed around THEIR algae wafers.

8. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I personally haven't had an issue with this...
    My Cherry Barbs just pick the sinking food, and then leave it alone.

I would do the zucchini, or any other squash vegetable.

9. f

fishaholic87 Valued Member Member

if you leave the light on for more than 12 hours they eat the algea that grows

10. Fashooga

Technically they'll stop eating the algae after awhile. Also they'll eat it so fast that the tank won't be able to produce it fast enough.

Besides a pleco shouldn't be purchased for solely to eat the algae, one must be able to feed it as well.

11. OP
    OP
    T

That's my problem I want to be able to feed it veg and pellets but my mollies are eating it instead and shooing the poor guy away. Im going to try throwing in some veg after the lights are off for a few hours when the other fish are asleep. I'm hopeful it'd work, thank guys.

12. Oliver T.

Oliver T. Valued Member Member

use slices of zucchini

13. Fashooga

As previously stated on 4/13, blanch some zucchini and toss it into the tank. You might need to stick a fork in it but leave it there and that pleco will munch on it like it was in a buffet.

14. Phillip J. Fry

Phillip J. Fry New Member Member

Cut a slice of zucchini, use a waffer to wedge a small hole in the zuccihini (or cucuber) till its wedged in there. (I cut small slices smaller than the waffer and put it in kind of like a button) get a salad clip....one of those plastic clips with the suction cups and clip the whole thing in (you can clip the edge of the waffer to help hold it) and stick it close to where the pleco likes to sit on glass near the bottom with waffer next to the glass. That way he can hide behind the veggie and the other fish can't get to it. Or get a log that the pleco can swim through but others cant and hide the waffer under it. (But thats harder to clean) that's what helped my pleco eat them.

I have a cheese slicer and cut my veggies like thick slices of cheese btw. That was just easiest way to cut and weigh it down for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  15. f

fishaholic87 Valued Member Member

ive had my pleco for 2 years and never fed it anything it just eats the algae it cant keep up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice