Best Way To Feed African Dwarf Frogs?

1. Over It Well Known Member Member

I just got my daughter 3 ADF's and I'm wondering what the nest way to feed them is. I've been giving them freeze dried blood worms using a pair of tweezers, but I don't wanna have to stick my hand in the tank and track them down every time I feed them and my daughter can't reach far enough to feed them like that and she wants to be the one to feed them.

Any tips or tricks I could try?

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

what size is your tank.

3. Over It Well Known Member Member

10 gals. It's in my kitchen on my counter under the upper cabinets.

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Oh good, that's a good size. I would feed them frozen bloodworms, they come in cubes, and will sink, and they can eat them over the course of the day. That's what I do with mine and they love it.

download (2).png

5. Over It Well Known Member Member

Well that would be easier. The only problem I see having is that I also have a Betta they live with and I could see him eating most of the food and getting extremely fat. :/ lol

Is there a way to get them to come to the surface when it's dinner time?

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would consider rehoming the Betta. Frogs do best in a species only tank. Unless you want to keep doing the tweezers method then the only other option is to rehome the Betta.

7. Over It Well Known Member Member

Here's a pic of the tank. Think it's good for them? 73ba9a6c7f757c4fa47aebb5ec3e7334.jpg 407729ae5a6c994b0f8dea543a926ead.jpg

8. Over It Well Known Member Member

Well that's a problem. Optimus is my Betta that I've had for awhile. He can't go anywhere. Luckily he and the frogs get along great. They aren't scared of him and he doesn't care about them at all. Also he won't eat freeze fried bloodworms ( only defrosted brine shrimp and his pellets) so it would work great if I could get them to come to the surface. Or maybe just drop the bloodworms in and hope they find them and eat them?

9. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

it can work out , but it's always best to have ADF in a species tank only , they don't have the best of eye sight , they can get nippy and when comes feeding time most the time whatever other fish that's in the tank will get it all before it can even drop, their also slow scavengers. I don't really recommend freeze dried anything , frozen is always better imo , but if your betta doesn't like freeze dried bloodworms then ya I would put couple in and sit back and watch to see if the ADF get it or if your Betta will, if not you might just have to continue the tweezer route.

Good Luck!!

10. Over It Well Known Member Member

Well Darn. I had hoped we had finally gotten lucky as Optimus can't be housed with other fish, but he's doing great with the frogs and he won't eat the freeze dried blood worms.

I had put off getting frogs cause I was always worried about them not being ok with the Betta and the Betta attacking them. Never thought I'd have to worry about how difficult it would be to feed them. I guess I'll talk to my daughter about returning them.
    Could just 2 of the ADF's live happily in a 5.5 gal tank?

11. Over It Well Known Member Member

I talked to my daughter and we will be taking the ADF's back to the store.

12. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

IMO I do think 2 ADF can live happily in a 5.5 gal.

13. Over It Well Known Member Member

She decided to go ahead and take them back. They aren't as interesting as she thought they would be and she doesn't wanna stick her hand in the tank to feed them.
    Maybe I will find something else that she will like that can be housed with the Betta.

14. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I keep my betta with amano shrimp, rabbit snails, nerite snails and pest snails. Maybe there's an invertebrate she'd like?

15. Over It Well Known Member Member

She loves the rabbit snails. Thanks! Hopefully I can find her one!