Best way to dry foam couch cushions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A friend crashed at my place after a night out at the bar as a result I, ahem, decided to wash my couch cushions. With the weather I can't put them outside to dry and they're been sitting in my bathroom all day... Anyone know any good ways to speed this drying process up?

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Take them to a laundromat and use the "big" dryers. I had to do that with my big pillows (aka dog beds) when my ceiling collapsed. Make sure you use the big dryers though and not the regular sized ones.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So your mate did the old technicolour yawn on the cushions?? ;:barf

Exposure to warm air would be the best way I think. Point a fan at them. Put them in a heated room with a fan pointed at them would be even better. Just don't put them directly in front of a heater of any sort please. The last thing anyone wants is for you to burn your house down.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I do water damage restoration for a living and I agree ppate1977. A dehumidifier would help alot as well.
If you have a wet dry vac you can put the cushions inside of a large plastic bag and suck the air out of the bag. This will compress the cushion into a small ball and it will suck the water out of the cushion.
Many times when the actual cushion (inside foam part) gets wet though we consider it "non salvageable"

OP
Red1313

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone.
They're still not dry this morning (didn't want to leave the space heater on during the night) I've moved them out of the bathroom and tried an new arrangement to see if I can direct the heater at more of them. They were soaked all the way through (wasn't a technicolor Nutter more of a housebreaking issue), and I soaked them more to wash them. Hopefully I can dry them off enough to get through the rest of the month (mildew and all if that happens). Maybe I'll have to start pricing out foam after that...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kudos to you Red for not letting them drive!

I kind of thought someone may have missed the paper LOL (sorry, I know it isn't funny).

Ken

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone.
They're still not dry this morning (didn't want to leave the space heater on during the night) I've moved them out of the bathroom and tried an new arrangement to see if I can direct the heater at more of them. Hopefully I can dry them off enough to get through the rest of the month (mildew and all if that happens). Maybe I'll have to start pricing out foam after that...
Foam can be expensive. You can try furniture stores though. Maybe find some secondhand cushions that are the same size and just switch out the covers?

They were soaked all the way through (wasn't a technicolor Nutter more of a housebreaking issue), and I soaked them more to wash them.
With that being the case, I would actually recommend rewashing them in the big washer and dryer at a laundromat. It can be difficult to clean the cushions by hand and you'll want to make sure that they are clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom