Best way to disinfect a Q tank?

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently attempted to save 3 fish that were severely neglected by my boyfriend's roommate. They unfortunately did not survive my rescue attempt and I think they may have had a fungal infection. They were in a 2.5 gallon Q-tank that I would like to keep going (I know it was too small but it was all I had). What is the best way to disinfect this tank? Is there a way to do it without killing all of the BB and re-cycling it?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm... I'll just say what I would do in this situation

Do 25% water changes daily for a week, and just put in some fish food or some fish poop from another tank to keep your bacteria happy

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Would that disinfect the tank? I'm concerned that if the rescues did have fungus, I would need to use bleach or something to kill it so that any other fish I put in there won't contract the same thing. But I really have no idea...

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I was thinking, the 25% water changes should remove it from the water and if there are no fish to host it, it should die off anyway

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
good advice or you could just start it over since you have a unoccupied 10 gallon
but best way was stated in the above

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm paranoid so I think I might just break it down and bleach everything. I don't need it right now anyway. Thanks for the responses though

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bleaching it down is even better I was just assuming you might need it soon

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So the fungus does not live in the water? I don't know anything about fungus...

I suppose if it can only survive with a fish host, I can just do daily water changes. It's super small so it only takes a minute. I have pure ammonia to keep the cycle going.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pure ammonia should be okay
Just keep changing 25% each day for atleast a week, I would go for 10 days just to make sure

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds good I will definitely do 10 days to be on the safe side. I actually have plenty of time as I don't have to rush into putting any fish in there. I have an unoccupied 10 gallon right now that is pretty much cycled. I'm just waiting til it gets to the point where it can process 3.0ppm of ammonia in 12 hours. I tested it this morning after adding 3.0ppm of ammonia last night and it was down to 1.0 so it's definitely getting there. I plan to fully stock it so I want to be sure the amount of BB in there is sufficient enough to handle 4 or 5 new fish

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads