Best way to deep clean a tank

TaDah
I have a 55 gal. And a 20. I need to do a good deep cleaning of the tank. Vacuuming gravel and all that. Is it best I remove all my decor? Should I also remove the fish so they don't stress?I normally just do a water change but when I add water now crud flies from the gravel.

Thank you ahead of time for your advice and help

Advertisement
AquaticBrandon
Welcome to fishlore!
There's no need to remove any decor or fish. Actually removing fish for every water Change can be a hassle and really stress out the fish. Just move around the decor in the tank and syphon it up. I vacuum my tank every week or 2. It stays pretty clean.

Advertisement
KarenLM
I would not remove the fish - this will stress them more than the WC IMO.

Some crud in the gravel isn't going to hurt anything.

If you do want to do a thorough clean, I would speed clean the entire tank as you usually do and then focus on one area each WC for a more deep clean. You can remove or move the decor from that area and then replace it.

It would take you several WC's to cover the whole tank over a month or so.

Unless there is a serious problem in the tank, I would not do a massive WC.

Just my thoughts - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

TaDah
Oh okay. Also would removing and redecorating the tank stress them out? Adding new fixtures or removing some? I only have like 7 little guys in my tank

Et tu
All of the above posters have excellent advice, I will add for future reference, try to keep up the gravel vac's every other week or so, while doing water changes.

AquaticBrandon
It would stress them out if you do it constantly. There's no need to remove decor or fixtures, just a simple water change doesn't stress them at all. What fish do you have in the tank by the way?

Advertisement

KarenLM
Any time I change the decor in my 55gal, I only do one area at a time and I move slowly. I change smaller decorations all the time. My fish tend to stay close to my hands when I am cleaning or rearranging as they think food will be flying about - that's why I suggest you go slowly.

I have never changed the entire tank or the basic layout, so I don't know how that would affect the fish.

TaDah
I have 4 tiger bards, I surprise dalmatian platy (I had no idea. I have had it since it was a fry), a spotted catfish, a peacock eel and a red-tailed shark. The tank is only about 3 months old but I have not vacuumed the gravel. This is why I ask I thank you all kindly for all of your responses! My fishies love my hand in the water too xD

KarenLM
You should vacuum your gravel each time you do a WC. Now I understand why you have crud flying around.

WC's do three things for you - vacuum/clean the gravel, remove nitrates from a cycled tank and the fresh water in adds essential trace elements.

You've been missing the first one. If you don't have a siphon vacuum you will want to pick one up.

TaDah
It's all nice and tidy thank you all for your help

If I may, I have 4 tiger barbs. I have 2 in my other tank... can I introduce the 2 into the bigger tank? Also, would a couple Discus be okay in there even with the red tail shark? My barbs are on the gentle side. They adopted my stray platy.. but I mainly did a large tank for a few discus.

Attachments

• 1437442367769.jpg
    1437442367769.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 250

Advertisement

Shortfuuzze
Nice tank inknglitter!

TaDah
Thanks I have had it since about April

Et tu
It's all nice and tidy thank you all for your help

If I may, I have 4 tiger barbs. I have 2 in my other tank... can I introduce the 2 into the bigger tank? Also, would a couple Discus be okay in there even with the red tail shark? My barbs are on the gentle side. They adopted my stray platy.. but I mainly did a large tank for a few discus.
Discus require warmer water, and are ultra sensitive to water quality. Some people will do 50% or more daily water changes to keep discus healthy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Al913
Replies
Views
BradleyQ
Replies
Views
Rehanan
Replies
Views