Best way to cycle a 5 gallon Question

1. zinnaerris Member Member

I have a honey gourami that is being picked on by my other much larger honey gourami. The little one isn't doing so well. We have had him for a month. He looked ill when we brought him home. The lfs wouldn't take him back. I've been doing a lot of research and I think he just has some sort of genetic issue. He's extremely small and is just a weak fish... Anyways
    We are going to separate him from everyone. We found a 5 gallon tank with a cascade 300 filter that comes with it(we have this filter in the 15 gallon as well. Fantastic filter!).
    I've been going over possible options for getting the tank cycled and maybe you awesome people can help me.
    I have a cycled 15.6 gallon tank. I was thinking of putting the cascade 300 in the 15 gallon for a few days and let that build up the BB and then take water from the 15 gallon and put that in the 5 gallon with the filter that should now have BB in it.
    Otherwise I was thinking take water from the 15 gallon and set up the tank and put the big gourami in there while it cycles.
    I really don't want to put the little one through a cycle. I don't think we would survive. But he's getting picked on more and more lately.
    I am open to anything. I just want the safest and most efficient solution.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Just take a bit of the filter media from your established aquarium and place it in the new filter along with the new media.... Viola, you should have a nearly instant cycle.

Don't bother with moving any of the water over from the established aquarium, that will not really be of any use.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If the filter in your main tank is fully cycled you can take a portion of the media from that & place it in the new filter, I'd say around 10% should be ok if the gourami is going to be the only fish in the tank.
    The bb on the media should be able to cope with his bioload but keep an eye on the water stats just in case & do water changes accordingly.

4. zinnaerris Member Member

Thank you so much for the replies! And yes he will for sure he will be the only one in the tank

5. zinnaerris Member Member

So I set up the tank about 4 hours ago. Did a water test 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, and 5 nitrates. Does that mean I'm good to go with putting my little guy in? Do I need to float him and acclimate him like I did when I got him from the lfs?

0 nitrites and 5 nitrates... Stupid auto correct

6. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Did you move the filter media over and have new treated water from the tap? Or water from the original aquarium?

If the water parameters like pH, temp etc are similar between the two tanks you can put him straight in

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. zinnaerris Member Member

I took some media from the tank and used treated water from the tap and everything is really close. Although the 15 gallon has 5ppm more than the new tank. Other than that the ph is almost exactly the same and the temp is like 1 degree different

5ppm more of nitrates

8. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Moving time. Wouldn't worry about acclimating like if you just brought him home

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. zinnaerris Member Member

Thank you! I am so happy to get the little guy into the tank. Getting him moved now!

Attached Files: