Best Way To Clear Up Tannins

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jensue, Apr 17, 2018.

1. J

Jensue New Member Member

I’m still considering myself a beginner, although I’ve learned and applied many of the ideas from this forum, which have been very helpful in getting my 36 gal tank in a good place. Please see my profile for tank specs. I have two large pieces of driftwood, plastic plants, and java moss. My water is quite hard but I haven’t tested it.
    First, I’d like to remove the yellow appearance of water caused by the dw. I have a prefilter on both intake tubes, filter floss in both hobs, 100mc filter pad in ac hob (Sponge-floss-pad-biomax). It’s been 4 mths since ac hob start, so I should replace the biomax. I was thinking on using chemipure elite. I did remove the charcoal from ac last month, as it was time. My thought was that the chemipure would help both hard water and clear up the water. Any suggestions?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    J

Jensue New Member Member

Malaysian from amazon, boiled for 4 hours beforehand. I’m wondering if chemipure would be a replacement for biomax along with purifying?

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Just water changes will do it.

Why do you want to get rid of tannins? They are beneficial to the fish.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Jensue New Member Member

I realize that but I think it detracts from the color of the fish. I want to get a blue background which might help with that too. Tank has nothing on back and is in front of barn board wall. I want the fish to be seen clearer. I do think the water being hard might contribute to new fish loss. I recently lost 1 of 2 new panda Corys and lost all 3 Juliis a couple months ago. Anybody have thoughts on chemipure elite?

6. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

Carbon removes it also.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Jensue New Member Member

Well I just read that the biomax does not need to be replaced unless falling apart, which may be 3 years. I’m going between just adding charcoal or trying the chemipure. I want to get 2 more corys but worried about loosing them. I don’t know if hard water could play a factor, but that’s for another thread.

8. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

Forget all that trouble .
    Use purigen and you are all set .

9. Jennasoutherfranks

Jennasoutherfranks New Member Member

Does the purigen take care of the tannins?

10. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

They say it does but carbon works better for that.

11. Jyl080208

Jyl080208 Valued Member Member

Yes, purigen will completely get rid of the tannins. I would recommend 2 packs. That way one is in your tank, and the other is ready while you "recharge" the second. Here are a few pictures of how I handle mine. I've tried the carbon, doesn't work as well. Purigen took care of it in about a day 1524413869075.jpg 1524413927325.jpg 1524413956864.jpg

12. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

From experience that is not true.
    Purigen works better and longer than carbon.

13. OP
    OP
    J

Jensue New Member Member

Just wanted to let everyone know, I got a purigen bag and it worked like a charm. After cleaning, the first time, the bag opened in a corner, so I dumped half in a nylon sock and closed bag with rubber band. So now I have two bags to use alternately. My water never looked better. Thanks for advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice