Best way to clean used tank

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all. I just purchased a second hand ADA 60p from Facebook marketplace and quite frankly it’s nasty. So much scum all over and bits of old gravel stuck to the bottom. What is the best way to clean this?

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I find vinegar is the right combination of being safe and effective. First, rinse out the tank and use a brush or sponge to remove any excess gunk. Then, add vinegar and make sure to apply it to every surface of the tank. Let it sit for a few minutes, and use the brush or sponge to really scrub away the scum. Use a razor blade for anyything that won't come off. Then rinse the tank out thoroughly. If there is a buildup of hard water scale on the rI'm or other places, you may need to do several soaks of vinegar.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes vinegar is the best to clean with. Just make sure after you are done, rinse everything very good with water then let it all air dry

OP
Gwlson7

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great, thank you!! I was thinking vinegar but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

OP
Gwlson7

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI again. So after several vinegar scrubs I still can’t get the scale buildup off of this glass. :mad: Any tips or tricks would be helpful. I’m definitely wishing I would have just bought a brand new tank.

Attachments

NaturalGothic

Reaction score
I spray my stuff with half water half white vinegar and and then rinse throughly with hot water. If I’m worried that the previous owner may have had some kind of outbreak in the tank, I let it sit completely dried for a few days. This has always worked for me.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hot water, Dawn, razor blade and scrub sponge.

OP
Gwlson7

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately this tank was not cared for well and the glass seems stained. Anyone have any luck with baking soda? I assume it would be safe to use...

NaturalGothic

Reaction score
Gwlson7 said:
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately this tank was not cared for well and the glass seems stained. Anyone have any luck with baking soda? I assume it would be safe to use...
Dennis57 said:
Single edge razor blades,
Agreed Razors work great for getting off stains and glass marker.

OP
Gwlson7

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NaturalGothic said:
Agreed Razors work great for getting off stains and glass marker.
I’ve been using a razor blade with the vinegar and really hot water. No luck.

StarGirl15 said:
Lime-away?
Safe for aquarium?

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really can't say but you would think anything can get rinsed out? Just have to rinse it waaaayyy good? Razor blade would probably be safest. Except for maybe your fingers... ;)

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it won't come clean with hot water, a razor and Dawn, Id probably throw it out.

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice rimless, don't give up yet. Normally paper towels soaked with vinegar will stick to the walls and perhaps it just needs to soak longer. My oldest tank has been running so long without a break that a biofilm built up on the front glass that even razor blades won't remove, but it's still useful as a quarantine tank.

MarioDario

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe find a way to soak the troublesome parts of the tank in vinegar for awhile to really break down and get a specialized scrubber made for algae with a handle and go ham on it lol, like other people have said a razor at a 45° angle will help scrap anything leftover off

New Threads