Best Way To Clean Brown Algae From Silk Plants

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldnt worry about it unless it was really bad just rub it of the leaves with your fingewhile if you can. Its common in new tanksuntill they get established.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can be cleaned with a bleach solution. When I do mine I add about 1 cup of bleach to one gallon of water. You have to be sure it is pure bleach and not one with fragrances added.

Just dip and soak the plants until clean. They then need to be rinsed really well under running water. Once they are rinsed well mix up some water with a double dose or even a triple dose of your water conditioner (I use seachem Prime) and dip and swish the plants in this water. Be sure to rinse them really well in this water. Once done they are now safe to put back in your tank.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Really warm tap water works well in a pinch, just rinse them off, and place them back in

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mattgirl said:
They can be cleaned with a bleach solution. When I do mine I add about 1 cup of bleach to one gallon of water. You have to be sure it is pure bleach and not one with fragrances added.

Just dip and soak the plants until clean. They then need to be rinsed really well under running water. Once they are rinsed well mix up some water with a double dose or even a triple dose of your water conditioner (I use seachem Prime) and dip and swish the plants in this water. Be sure to rinse them really well in this water. Once done they are now safe to put back in your tank.
I dont think that's necessary here... Just some warm water and a pair of hands to scrub it off. Works for me.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CanadianFishFan said:
I dont think that's necessary here... Just some warm water and a pair of hands to scrub it off. Works for me.
That is great that it works for you. In my case I do find it necessary and wanted to share with the OP how it can safely be done since she asked. A lot of time the brown algae leaves a stain no matter how much rubbing and scrubbing one does. All of that scrubbing can also damage the silk. Bleaching doesn't require scrubbing so no damage is done.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mattgirl said:
That is great that it works for you. In my case I do find it necessary and wanted to share with the OP how it can safely be done since she asked. A lot of time the brown algae leaves a stain no matter how much rubbing and scrubbing one does. All of that scrubbing can also damage the silk. Bleaching doesn't require scrubbing so no damage is done.
Ok very true, never thought of it this way. (My walmart plants naturally fall apart anyway so i dont notice when scrubbing)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom