Best Way To Change Water? Question

1. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdams Member Member

I see everyone posting about doing large water changes. My question is how do I successfully change 10-15 gallons of water without breaking my back or taking multiple trips from the new water to the tank? Is there an easy way of getting the water out and in? I don't need to change my water yet but I would like to be prepared before I need to.

2. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Most of us have a gravel vacuum of some sort in order to help clean out the tank. I have one for my qt and one for my betta tank, but I have to add water slowly in with a water pitcher. With my 54 gallon tank, I use a python water changer. It hooks up to my faucet and helps drain/vacuum my tank and then I can switch it over to fill my tank. It's a handy item that makes keeping large tanks possible.

If you are interested in the python, I highly recommend watching some youtube videos on the python water changer. :)

3. OP
    OP
    ValerieAdams

My tank is 29 gallons. What vacuum do you think would be best?

4. RedLoredAmazon

If I were you, I would go with a gravel vacuum from Petco/Petsmart. That's where I got mine for my tanks. I think a python may be too big for your tank. You will need a bucket to drain the vacuum into before dumping it.

5. OP
    OP
    ValerieAdams

How do you treat all of the water you are going to put back into the tank before you put it in?

6. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

How close are you to a location where you can dispose/drain old water, and how close to a tap (assuming that's your clean water source)?
    For draining, you can use a sink, tub, toilet, window to outside, etc. If you're close enough, and the water level in your tank is higher than where you're draining to, you can just use a piece of 1/2" flexible hose, and let gravity work for you. My tank is 6ft from my kitchen sink, so I run hose from tank to sink, and remove hose when desired amount of water has been removed. If none of those things are close enough, you can drain into a 5-gallon pail, or a 3 gallon (eg mop bucket size) if you don't want to lug the bigger pail around. You'd want a sponge or something on on the tank end of the hose to prevent fish from getting sucked up or stuck.
    For refilling, same question: how close to tap? Again, in my case, I fill a 5-gallon pail in the kitchen sink (temp matched, dechlor in bucket), and use a small pump to transfer that new water back to the tank.
    Also, how able are you, in terms of carrying buckets of water? Buckets tend to be easier, but for those who have difficulty lifting/lugging them, a more complicated hose/python system might work better (eg work smarter, not harder :) ).
    All that said, head over to youtube and watch videos on water changes. You'll get plenty of ideas/suggestions there.

7. OP
    OP
    ValerieAdams

I'm probably about 10 feet away from my kitchen sink, so buckets will probably be the route I have to go. 5 Gallon buckets are heavy for me but I can carry them lol

8. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

I use a pond pump with an aqueon water changer and drain.

Then use the pump in 5 gallon buckets to refill, extremely easy.

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I am currently using a manual python vacuum for my small tanks, and then using a pitcher to fill them up.
    Really need to get a pump and tubing to make things easier.

10. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I don't think that's too far! As long as you have clips you can use to secure either end of the hose, so it doesn't accidentally fall out of the tank or the sink, you should be fine. IMO.
    Not sure what your buying options are there, but vinyl hose from the hardware is usually far cheaper than anything at the LFS. So are 5-gal pails, for that matter.

11. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I am setting up a pump and hard lines from the 90 gallons of RO/DI storage in the basement to the first floor. 10 trips at 5 gallons per trip for the 150 is a bit more effort than I would like...... But it does help keep me in good shape :)

12. OP
    OP
    ValerieAdams

I have a Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, KMart, and a couple other (expensive) local hardware stores. I'm sure I could find something

13. RedLoredAmazon

If I use a pitcher to fill the tanks, I just treat with Prime each pitcher full before I dump into the tank. If I use the python, I just dump the amount of Prime into my 54 g when I start filling it. I normally double dose my Prime amount since there are issues in my water and I just like to be extra careful.

14. OP
    OP
    ValerieAdams

I have API Stress Coat, would I be able to use it the same way? Or should I get Prime instead

15. RedLoredAmazon

That will work fine, it's a dechlorinator so it will help keep your fish safe during water changes. I used to use it myself, but I have ammonia in my tap so that's why I switched to Prime.

16. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

If you looking to do a "work smarter, not harder" then I suggest that you go to Amazon and get a pond pump. Put the male end of the pond pump and plug it into a hose, like a clear plastic hose you can get at a hardware store, about 10-20 feet and let the pond pump take all the water out for you.

With the pond pump, since it's only a 29g you probably don't need something that pumps out 495g per hour...you can get something that does maybe about 100g per hour, which drains 25g every 15 mins...

Once you get the x amount of water out you can refill it buy lifting buckets or having the pump put the water back in, which means you will need to have a bucket in your since with the pump in there pumping water into the tank until you get it to the right amount.