Question Best Way To Change Substrate?

hollynp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Established 20 gal tank. I do have anacaris plants that have rooted themselves in the bottom. I currently have white sand but it’s gotten really green and dirty looking and I want to change to black sand. What’s the best way to do it? I have 2 5 gal buckets that are fish use only that I could put fish and plants in and save half the water so it would basically be a 50% water change. Would that stress my fish too much?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hollynp said:
Established 20 gal tank. I do have anacaris plants that have rooted themselves in the bottom. I currently have white sand but it’s gotten really green and dirty looking and I want to change to black sand. What’s the best way to do it? I have 2 5 gal buckets that are fish use only that I could put fish and plants in and save half the water so it would basically be a 50% water change. Would that stress my fish too much?
No, should be fine. But I'd advise putting an airstone in the buckets while doing the change to help keep water moving a little.

OP
hollynp

hollynp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Momgoose56 said:
No, should be fine. But I'd advise putting an airstone in the buckets while doing the change to help keep water moving a little.
Oh I didn’t think of that, thanks!

12Cin12

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI HollynP!
I've changed from white sand to black blasting sand. I like it soooo much better - I think you're really gonna like it too!
The only problem I had when I did this is that I put my tank through a mini-cycle. Good bacteria live in the substate as well as the filter. So I would just watch the ammonia levels and maybe not put in any new fish until the new substrate gets established. In this same vein, I would resist the urge to "clean the filter" at this time.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom