Best Way To Change Substrate? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by hollynp, Jul 14, 2019.

1. hollynp

hollynpValued MemberMember

Established 20 gal tank. I do have anacaris plants that have rooted themselves in the bottom. I currently have white sand but it’s gotten really green and dirty looking and I want to change to black sand. What’s the best way to do it? I have 2 5 gal buckets that are fish use only that I could put fish and plants in and save half the water so it would basically be a 50% water change. Would that stress my fish too much?

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

No, should be fine. But I'd advise putting an airstone in the buckets while doing the change to help keep water moving a little.

3. OP
    OP
    hollynp

hollynpValued MemberMember

Oh I didn’t think of that, thanks!

4. 12Cin12

12Cin12Valued MemberMember

Hi HollynP!
    I've changed from white sand to black blasting sand. I like it soooo much better - I think you're really gonna like it too!
    The only problem I had when I did this is that I put my tank through a mini-cycle. Good bacteria live in the substate as well as the filter. So I would just watch the ammonia levels and maybe not put in any new fish until the new substrate gets established. In this same vein, I would resist the urge to "clean the filter" at this time.