Best way to carpet with Dwarf Saggitaria

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Hey all!

I'm picking up a 50 gallon today (woohoo!!) and I want it to have a nice carpet of dwarf saggitaria. It's my understanding that DS is a rapidly growing plant that sends out runners and it will do well in moderate light (as opposed to most carpeting plants). I plan on using 100% eco-complete as the substrate.

Have any of you grown the DS emmersed? Would it create a carpet much faster than if it were planted submerged or would it not make a big difference? The 55g is 24 inches high, so the PAR wouldn't be stellar if it grew submerged.

Any tips would be much appreciated! :;dete

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Dwarf sag is great. I think it will carpet very well, especially if you are using eco complete. I have some in my 60 gallon with just sand and regular T8 lighting and it sends out runners all the time. I'm pretty sure it will carpet in your new 50 gallon so why not give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Fantastic! :)

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

What's your lighting and tank measurements?

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It is a tempered glass bowfront. Length 36", side depth 12", center depth 16", height 21". I am purchasing a Finnex Ray 2 (7000k) 36". This is really just preparation for future Aquascaping that may not take place for another few weeks.

7. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

That should work. Depending on how much DS you get, it may not carpet overnight, but it certainly will eventually. Cool tank BTW.

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Much appreciated!

I can be patient... at times.

I've been doing a wet/dry scape of fissidens and pellia in a 6 gallon fluval. I mist it twice a day and have the LED on a timer. It's been a couple weeks and I'm beginning to see fresh growth. I've just been nervous to do this on a larger scale (since failure is so much more money....).

9. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I know what you mean. It's hard to get the balance of light , ferts, CO2, all right. Even if your not dosing ferts and CO2, the last thing you want are dead plants, or even worse algae! DS is a easy plant to have a carpet with. It looks good too.Watch how long you have the light on for and you should have good luck with it.