Best Way To Bring Betta And Snail Home From College?

kristynapg
Hey, I'm new on here but I've gotten a lot of good info from other people. I currently have a betta, a moss ball and a snail in a 5.5 gal tank with a filter and heater. I am going home for spring break on friday and my mom sent me a new tank (2gal) that has a filter and I can use my other heater. I plan on adding gravel from my current tank and some water from it but I was wondering if I should put the new filter cartridge from the new tank into my old filter to help it cycle some? I will be leaving the larger 5.5 gal tank at my school because I'll only be gone a week. Any advice from people who've done this before would be greatly appericated.

arvind2205
I would recommend you leave him for the week They can easily go upto 2 weeks without food, and a week is very normal. It's probably better to do that than stress him out by transporting him in the small tank and back. If you must, get the new tank set up and running then add some of the old filter media into the new filter enclosure to help kick start the cycle.

Triston Wasmund
It depends on you on whether or not to take him with you, or as Arvind2205 said, you could leave him there. But if you do finally decide to take him, then yes, get the media from the old tank and put it in the new and I suppose you should as well put the new media in the old to help cycle it for when you come back. What type of filter media are we talking here? Is it a carbon filter cartridge or something?

Rtessy
Yes the Betta should be fine for a week. Also just gravel isn't enough to get a cycle started in another tank.

kristynapg
I can't leave them because I have to unplug the tank and everything. My tank isn't far from a window also so I'm worried about the tank getting cold. Also i'd be worried about him the whole time I'm home, him and his snail are my babies. The filter media is a carbon cartridge.

Triston Wasmund
I can't leave them because I have to unplug the tank and everything. My tank isn't far from a window also so I'm worried about the tank getting cold. Also i'd be worried about him the whole time I'm home, him and his snail are my babies. The filter media is a carbon cartridge.
You know how to transfer filter media correct? Or does the cartridge fit in the new filter? Why can't you just take the 5 gallon instead of causing him stress by transferring him and acclimating him to new water parameters?

emmysjj
Bring the whole tank?

Rtessy
You could, since it is a smaller tank. Bag the Betta and snails separately, bag the tank water, keep the filter media in tank water, and reassemble after. But I don't recommend doing that more than once because stress. At least not twice in a week.

kristynapg
maybe I'll just bring the whole tank but idk if there is anywhere to put it at my moms. This is my first time taking care of a fish on my own and I had to buy a stand and everything. I really don't want to make it harder for the people bringing me home by having a couple boxes just for my fish. I have friends who keep their bettas in tanks with no filter or heater and that are 2gal or less and have no trouble with bringing them back and forth from their homes. I was thinking that by adding in tank water from the other tank and letting the new filter cartridge sit with my current one that it'll be fine. I was going to just leave the larger tank with the filter cartridge in the bottom of the tank in tank water to prevent bacteria from dying. I also will also leave the 2gal at home for my mom and sisters to put tertas in and just use it as a vacation tank for Buddy when we're home for a week but when I go home for summer I am bringing the 5.5 gal and everything.

emmysjj
Sounds good! Make sure the temp. stays regulated!

kristynapg
Sounds good! Make sure the temp. stays regulated!
Thank you!! Everyone was making me feel like a bad fish mom but I'm doing what I can for my boys. I have an extra thermometer that I use for going home

emmysjj
You might want to insulate the betta, just a tip!

Niki Rose
Another would be to put the betta and snail in a fish bag with oxygen and a heat pack while travelling, I should mention 2 gal is not big enough for tetras and the only thing id put in there would be a betta or shrimp/snails.

kristynapg
Thanks everyone. I had to go home a day early and actually have only been home an hour or 2. The boys did fine in the mason jar, just stressed some. the car ride was only a couple hours and as of now seem to be ok in the temp tank, very happy to have their space and buddy is already asleep. I will suggest a betta to my mom for something permanent for the tank.

Hunter1
Glad it worked out.

If it’s only 7 days, next time I would leave him. He’ Love you more when you return.

kristynapg
Glad it worked out.

If it’s only 7 days, next time I would leave him. He’ Love you more when you return.
The only problem is that I'd have to leave him with no filter or heater cuz we have to unplug everything

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CelticSJU
2 3 4
Replies
Views
SM1199
  • Poll
Replies
Views
sunnycal