Best way to attach background to tank?

jayfl234
I bought background for the back of my tank. What would be the best way to attach with?

sgould
I just attached mine with tape.

jayfl234
That is what I figured. Thanks

Neville
what is the color of your wallpaper? I have green and blue wallpapers.

poppet
Mine is attached with tape as well.

jayfl234
Blue background that goes from a dark blue to a light blue and the other side is all black.

armadillo
Sounds interesting. You could upload a picture so we can ooh and aah.

Personally, not sure if a background is for me. I guess it gives fish 1 side where they are at peace (from prying human eyes anyway) but I figured they maybe feel less claustrophobic without. Go figure.

jayfl234
Funny thing about it I bought it and I don't want to put it on. The tanks looks bigger without it. So I guess I will leave it off.

armadillo
Ah well. It's only cheap, isn't it?

Muffymouse
As for me, I'm seriously considering using slightly wrinkled aluminum foil. I've heard that it can look really good, but getting it wrinkled just enough without overdoing it kinda worries me Bummer that your background didn't work for you though

COBettaCouple
Our MTS has gotten bad enough that we need some paper for the sides of several betta tanks to keep them from seeing each other. We'll just go to the crafts dept. and find some fish-themed scrapbook paper as bettas can find glossy paper something to flare at constantly.

jayfl234
Yeah it is cheap so I am not to worried about it plus when you have all the cords hanging and filters on kind of a pain to move everything thing. Oh well

armadillo
Was at the LFS today and saw a whole stand of wall papers. Had to think of you! Can't say I wasn't tempted, but naaah, I think I"ll leave it.

darkwolf29a
Our MTS has gotten bad enough that we need some paper for the sides of several betta tanks to keep them from seeing each other.  We'll just go to the crafts dept. and find some fish-themed scrapbook paper as bettas can find glossy paper something to flare at constantly.

My girlfriend's betta puffs up at the filter sometimes...I laugh every time. LOL

COBettaCouple
My girlfriend's betta puffs up at the filter sometimes...I laugh every time. LOL

One of our Bettas, Aslan, flared so much at his filter box that we had to wrap paper around it to keep him from seeing it.

tb19
ha I added the same background to my tank not that long ago too

Gargoyle
I've got a light blue backing... I really like it as it gives the tank an aquatic feeling... Or maybe it's just that I don't like seeing all the stuff hanging from the back... Actually I don't even like seeing the stuff in the tank.. You know heater, filter tube, etc... ;D

Muffymouse
yeah to bad there isn't a kind that you can put on the inside of the tank and when it goes behind the tubes and heater etc. makes them look like the color of your background.

COBettaCouple
we just got scrapbook paper at michaels yesterday for keeping our bettas from seeing each other, nice oceanish paper with fish on it.. i'm thinking of doing the backs in that paper too, so we don't have to see the wires. It looks good and isn't glossy so it isn't going to induce any flaring.

JRDroid
So none of my tanks have backgrounds at the moment. I have one for my 55, it just needs attached. What is the best way to do this?

Borisbbadd
I just use tape on mine.

fishingman001
I use a wet towel and wet the background and put it on my tank. That will make it stick to the tank. Then I take electrical tape and tape the edges.

Cordi
I use JBLs Fixol for all my backgrounds - excellent IMO.

Cordi

claudicles
Lots of ideas here. Since you are in the US you should be able to get seaview. I am now using vaseline because I can't get it and it looks much better than tape.

jetajockey
I'm attaching a home made background tomorrow, I'm just going to use double sided tape on the insde of the edges. Will post pics when my masterpiece is complete

JRDroid
I was thinking of trying Vaseline! do you have any pics of that? I would love to use seaclear but my pay has been screwed up (its been 3+ weeks since I got paid) so I have like $5 to my name.

I think I will try the Vaseline, I have a friend coming over tomorrow to check out my tanks and want my 55 as purdy as possible.

Aquarist
Good morning,

I use tape. Sometimes you might get lucky and the background will slide down or up into the frame itself.

hmmm vaseline....I wouldn't want to have to deal with it personally. If you do try it monmouth, please let us know how it works for you.

Ken

yallyall1
I use sticky dots...

fishyfishyfishy13
I have never tried vasoline but it would make the background show up more colorful and kind of pop out, the water method works a too.

orisue
Like yall said, I think sticky dots would work fine, they are clear and easy to remove/put on.

fishyfishyfishy13
I put vasoline on mine and stuck it on, it looks great.

the wiz
I have used the backgrounds sold at stores and I was never happy with it and it not sticking. I now use foam boards that can be purchased at craft stores in different colors and textures. They are water proof and very stiff. If you cut them to fit between the top and bottom of the frame they will sit in there very nice and can be held in place with a filter that hangs on the back, although if you keep your tolerances tight it almost snaps in place. You can still tape if you want.

So far I have only see them in solid colors. I have used three colors so far. Black, which gives the tank a deep look, white, which gives the tank a very bright look, an almost wintery look if that makes sense and a red, that due to defusion of the light turns to a very mysterious and atmospheric maroon. I personally like red as it really show the fish well, especially the black ones and the plants really pop out. But the great thing about this is when you get bored just change out the boards and you have a brand new look. The boards will last forever with a little care.

PS: The fish don't seem to care what I put up. However Big Daddy, my head angel says he looks good in red.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ETNsilverstar
  • Question
Replies
Views
Keenamoss
Replies
Views
yom
Replies