Help Best way to administer meds

oodelally

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a fish that needs to be treated and I don’t have a cycled quarantine tank, but a spare 5 gallon. The directions are one packet per 10 gallons, after treating wait 48 hours and then dose again, and then after another 48 hours do a 25% water change. Prime will last up to 48 hours and after that I would normally do a water change if I had fish in an unchecked tank. Can I just add prime again? How do you handle dosing meds without a cycled QT?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can still do water changes as long as you replace the meds that you remove, just use some math to figure it out.

For example, let's say you have a 20 gallon tank:

Initial treatment: 2 packets.
24 hours later, 50% water change (10 gallons), dose another 1 packet.
24 hours after that, 50% water change, dose the prescribed 2 packets plus the additional 1 packet for the water change.
Etc.

If your filter is already processing ammonia, just slowly, you can add prime instead.

Make sure to remove carbon from the filter as always when medicating.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the 5 gallon part, or else I would have used a 5 gallon as my example!

OP
oodelally

oodelally

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That would be a lot easier if my tank was that size. I would just treat the whole main tank since it’s just general cure, but I’m afraid taking out the carbon filters will kill the BB that are on the cartridges.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oodelally said:
That would be a lot easier if my tank was that size. I would just treat the whole main tank since it’s just general cure, but I’m afraid taking out the carbon filters will kill the BB that are on the cartridges.
You can take out the carbon filters and keep them in a small bucket or container of tank water while you dose the tank. The medication will not be effective if you dose it while the carbon is still there, because the carbon will absorb the medication right out of the water fairly quickly.

OP
oodelally

oodelally

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes but doesn’t it need steady supply of ammonia to keep the BB alive? Would just adding fish food in there work?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oodelally said:
Yes but doesn’t it need steady supply of ammonia to keep the BB alive? Would just adding fish food in there work?
You can if you want, but the BB will last at least a few days without a problem.

New Threads