best way for clear water

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmc1996

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This thread is kind of embarassing seeing how ive been keeping fish for a long time.

But it seems like everytime I look on youtube, you see this nice tanks with crystal clear water and no diatoms.

My water is pretty clear, but could be better and two of my three tanks are infested with diatoms.

Im looking for anything to help just make everything look clearer.

Thanks all

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome gmc! (if i havent already ) dont be embarrassed...diatoms are VERY natural for any tank thats under a year or year n a half old...I have an african tank, thats well over a year old, and it still has some diatoms...its a new tank type of algae, which doesnt hurt anything, except for the human eye....in time, and with patience, it will go away ....

OP
gmc1996

gmc1996

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yeah i have had the tank for about two years.

IS it just me or do live plants help? I have a new tank thats been up for three months or so with lots of live plants and it has no diatoms..

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sure its diatoms ? have you had any mini cycles at all in the 2 years? wheres the diatoms at that are bothering you so much? I think, at least where mine are concerned, it looks more natural and I dont mind them...can you get a pic for us?

edit: I do not have plants in the african tank so maybe they will help....but I cant be sure as my african tank is my newest one....

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As Shawnie pointed out Diatoms can be brought on by ammonia spikes. This can come from uprooting plants, overcleaning etc.
I was recently reading about Diatoms that wont go away and there was several folk who had high levels of Silica in the water which Diatoms require thrive. (The reason they go away is because the Silica is used up and hence they cant reproduce) Certain rocks and substrates also have high levels of Silica as well. I cannot verify any of the claims just throwing a thought out there. Some actually reported switching to RO water and having the Diatoms disappear. (High levels of Silica from the tap)
Do you have different substrates or decorations that are in the tanks with Diatoms?
Diatoms also prefer low light levels and slow water movement so if the filters aren't big enough that may be an issue as well.

Last edited:
OP
gmc1996

gmc1996

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The one tank that has them is about 29 gallons with a sand stubstrate, two filters and no live plants.

The other is a 70 gallon, with a large canister filter and another larger hang on. It has argonite substrate because its a african cichlid tank and it buffs the ph.

The tank that is clear of diatoms has a different, softer, sand substrate with a peice of driftwood and lots of live plants. good filtration.

I always use more filtration then whats needed =)

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi welcome to FL

My diatoms went away when I blocked the sun light, but you live plants so you can't do that. Maybe you could cut down on the time the tank has light. So I don't know, sorry.

OP
gmc1996

gmc1996

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
no, the planted tank is the one without any diatoms.. go figure ahha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.1%

Top Bottom