best water to use in tank?

1. LadyBug82 Member Member

Is it ok to use bottled water for a fish tank or at least half? will it be safe ok to use tho? the tap water n my town smells bad and taste bad.

2. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

I would say you could use bottled water along with an appropriate water conditioner. Some bottled water has flouride added which could be harmful to fish. So test the bottled water to be there is no chlorine and treat it with water to conditioner to be safe.

Oh and mixture of tap and bottled would be best.

3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Most of that would be sulfer that builds up in the pipe its not good for fish so yea buy bottled water.And use conditioner

4. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

Be sure to stay away from distilled, its in a sense too pure. Spring water is best. And again, use a water conditioner as well.

Lukcy fishies!!

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

before we all jump on the bottled water wagon, whats the smell from your tap? It could be numerous different things causing that problem. Also if you have town supplied water they issue a yearly report (which is due out soon actually) on the quality of your water.

6. LadyBug82 Member Member

i just think it smells funny and taste bad to me.

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

might not be all that bad. I had some water that tasted horrid out of the tap but once run thru a britta pitcher it was great. Just trying to help save you the cost of spring water for a fish tank. Considering on average 25% water changes weekly, thats at least 45 bucks a month in bottled water for the fish.

8. LadyBug82 Member Member

there's a place i can refill jugs for 20cents so wouldn't be that costly but i'm going to do half in half tho.

9. callichma Well Known Member Member

We went through a period in my town where the water smelled bad and tasted terrible. We filtered all the water we drank or used for cooking. I used it in my tanks without problems. You could use carbon in your filter to see if it made a difference in the smell.

10. Llwynog Initiate Member

My parents have water that tastes and smells awful but it's only chlorine. There is a lot of building in the area so their water service keeps it higher than most services. It's the sort of thing I would rather treat the water I have than lug it home.

11. LadyBug82 Member Member

the water in my small town smells not of chlorine tho to me.

12. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

does your water smell like eggs?

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Bottled water does not have as many beneficial properties as tap. The mineral concentrations won't be as high. Tap would be ideal. Do you have prime? Using prime as your water condition may be all you need.

14. LadyBug82 Member Member

smells like poo or rotten eggs or it could be just me thinking it smells bad and its not.

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

16. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

With your poor water quality, I'd be looking at investing in a RO/DI system for both human and fish.

17. LadyBug82 Member Member

what is that? and cost?

18. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;id I would get a really good filtration system so you could not only drink your water, but you could use it in your fish tank. There are plenty of relatively cheap filters that would make your water palatable. I can't image what the cost would be to do water changes in a tank. I know that I have 5 tanks and I probably change70-100 gallons of water a day. Now, I know you are probably not in that position, but buying bottled water for an aquarium is insane (at least I think so). There has to be a filtration system out there that can make your water palatable for both you and your fish. It would benefit you monitarily for the water you drink and the water your fish will live in.:;br

19. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

A good quality filtration system. With water rated as poorly as your city water is I wouldn't want to even cook with it.

20. nexigen Member Member

I use 20% tap and 80% distilled because my tap water is very, very hard. This brings it down to about 3KH (100 Total Alkalinity). I also prime the tap water with Seachem Prime to remove the chlorine and add some Flourish to replace nutrients as well.