Best Water Filter For Bettas

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Golabh, Apr 9, 2017.

?

What would you do?

1. Keep putting filter foam in the intake

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Get a different filter

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Forget filtering and water change more

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. G

Golabh New Member Member

I bought a beautiful butterfly tail Betta. He is having a really hard time with the water filter. I have the 3 gallon mini bow tank with the water filter it came with. I do think that it moves the water quite a lot for a small tank. Some of my other Bettas have not loved it either. In the past, I have put a little bit of foam filter in the intake pipe to reduce the flow rate, but it didn't do a great job filtering the water like that. Since this tank was created to use the filter system it came with, I'm not even sure how well another type of filter will fit in there if I change it. I have the filter off for the moment. I want to give my Betta the best home I can, and I don't want the filter to stress him out! What flow rate would be good in this small of a tank? Should I forget the filter and just change water more frequently?

2. _

_S_ New Member Member

Definitely keep a filter. That's where all of the beneficial bacteria is made to turn nitrite to nitrates. If you don't keep a filter the nitrogen cycle will crash. If the current is strong I would replace the filter because strong current cause betta's stress and also rip their beautiful fins. Betta's do best in stagnant water so I would say get a sponge filter. It should do fine in that small of a tank and filter well. I think the foam trick is good but only for a while so that's why I would replace it. The foam trick might also effect the removing of the chemical compounds within the water. I would also look into upgrading to at least a five gallon because the recommended is a five gallon and it would also give the betta more ground space. Best of luck :)

3. PokeTileCraft101

PokeTileCraft101 Valued Member Member

If you want to you could not have a water filter and just do more water changes because when I owned bettas i didn't have a filter and just did water changed and they lived for about 3-4 years.

4. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Based on the image I saw of the filter, could you put some sponge or floss in the output area to slow or dampen the flow a bit?

5. OP
    OP
    G

Golabh New Member Member

This is not my tank, but the same type of filter. I put the foam in the circled area to slow down the water flow.

Attached Files:

6. peppy210

peppy210 Valued Member Member

You must have a filter. It will be so much better for your fish and maintenance. If you want low flow, the best and cheapest filter you'll find is a sponge filter and they work well to hold biological filtration. You'll just have to clean the substrate with a gravel vacuum which I assume you do anyway, because no filter is going to be able to get everything out of the gravel.
    I also recommend the Tetra Whisper 3 or 3i. I had one in a 3 gallon and it works really well and it even has space for you to put in more filter media. I have the original filter cartridge, a piece of a sponge and ceramic rings for more media for the bacteria to grow on!
    Hope this helps :)

Edit: for the filter you have, you can put an intake sponge over it and it will still work. Filters aren't only for taking stuff out of the water, it's also to hold the beneficial bacteria that will break down waste and help get rid of ammonia and nitrites. A gravel vacuum would get everything out of the substrate and in my opinion, owning a gravel vacuum is a must for everyone no matter what type of filtration or what size tank you have. They're inexpensive too.

7. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice