Best water conditioner?

1. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I want to know what you guys think is the best water conditioner. Many people say that Seachem Prime is the best. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. am3ience Initiate Member

I am using stress coat by API, and so far it's been really good for me.

3. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Sodium thiosulfate crystals. $5 worth lasts for years.

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

So long as you do not have elevated ammonia or nitrite levels, just about any commercial water conditioner is just fine. But if you do have elevated ammonia or nitrites than Prime is the best since it will detox lowish levels of ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours.

5. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

How much would you add for doing water changes? Example for 1 gallon of water?

6. Maxi1 Member Member

The basic directions say use 1 capful (5 ml) for each 200 l (50 gallons) of new water. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/water-treatments/sodium-thiosulfate.html
    As jdhef mentioned, Prime/Amquel+ is the way to go if you need to detoxify elevated ammonia. For nitrite personally I would just run a small amount of salt since it's permanent. In an established tank with decent source water though, a basic water conditioner like sodium thiosulfate is enough.

8. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks

9. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

A lot of people on here recommend Prime! I personally use Tetra Aqua-Safe Plus, Online $12.99 for 1L bottle. Takes one tsp to detox 10g of water.

10. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah I was thinking of getting prime because I heard it's really good

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I want to give Prime some extra credit besides it's detoxification properties.

Aside from the sodium thiosulfate crystals mentioned above - it's the most economical stuff out there.

2 standard drops will treat an entire gallon of water. Major money saver.

12. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yes I think prime works really well. I will be getting prime for my water conditioner from now

13. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

There's a dry form of Prime called Safe.

14. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I use Jack's aquarium and pets conditioner. It treats for heavy metals, promotes BB development, removes chlorine/chloramine, reduces fish stress, helps rebuild slime coat, electrolytes that help buffer pH. Under 10 dollars for 237ml bottle and 5ml treats 10g of water.

15. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Wow that's pretty good

16. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

5ml of Prime treats 50g of water. Alternatively, 1/4 tsp of Safe treats 300 gallons.

17. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

That's good. Do they sell Safe like at petsmart or do you have to order it online?

18. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

You'll probably have to order it, but I don't know for sure, I don't visit the big box stores all that often.

19. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

I'd order it online it is quite a bit cheaper! As most pet stores that do carry it sell a size smaller bottle for the same price as the next size up.

20. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay I'll check it out