Best Water Conditioner For Well Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ozzy, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Valued Member Member

I usually use spring water to change my water with, however the amount of tanks I have is starting to make this a pretty expensive venture every week. I have nasty well water , I was afraid on how this might affect my fish but at this point I think I'm gonna have to give it a shot. Any insight on the kind of conditioner I can use?

2. Aquaholic3

Aquaholic3 Valued Member Member

I use prime, i find it to be the best but i am not sure how it will work with your well water. What is wrong with your well water?

3. OP
    OP
    Ozzy

The biggest issue I have with my well water is how rusty it is. If it sits around for a week or so it starts to turn orange

4. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

It likely has a lot of minerals in it. I would test your kH and gh of the tap just to be sure, if you haven't already. Prime is probably the best conditioner out there, as it handles heavy metals and ammonia as well as chlorine and chloramine.

Start changing the water very slowly so your fish can adjust

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You could see about getting a RO filter.

6. OP
    OP
    Ozzy

Yeah I figured changing it to the full extent wouldn't be a good idea, especially for my Oto's. I'm sure my betta would be fine though not very happy about the chemistry change. I'll definitely invest in some prime and see how it goes!

7. sheehanje

sheehanje Valued Member Member

This is what I did with my village water - was very hard, had 10ppm Nitrate and the highest allowable lead content in my state. Went with a system from bulk reef systems that does RO and DI (for the nitrate) - and couldn't be happier.

I got their top tier system and added the drinking water add-on after doing a cost analysis. We had been using brita and pur water filters on our tap water and we also buy bottled water in the summer on the go so we end up saving some money by using the RODI system in the long run. Key was getting the 150 gallon per day unit with the flush kit, as that really ups the value of the system by extending the life of the membranes. My wife really wasn't too keen on it at first - seeing it was a up front heavy purchase, but it's been working wonders for both our drinking water as well as our aquariums.

As a side, BRS support is top notch - highly recommended from me. They didn't try to oversell - instead I decided to overbuy! It's worth taking a look into for your well water, I wish I did when I lived up on the mountain- we had heavy sulfur concentrations in our well water then....

8. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

The concern I have with your well water is that you stated it turns orange after a week. This is usually signs of iron bacteria. I had this issue at my lake cabin. Here's a good article on it.  

I'm not sure how harmful to the fish it would be but it may affect the BB (beneficial bacteria) in your tank. I drank the water for many many years with no problem, but that doesn't mean it'll be fine in an aquarium.

9. dndlyon

dndlyon Valued Member Member

My well water does exactly the same - everything gets orange, and despite the high end water softener, I really don't want to drink it. I spent a lot of time stressing out about the best way to treat the well water for everything. I finally bought an RO unit from Bulk Reef Supply - best decision for me. The unit was about $200 and paid for itself in spring water costs in about a month.

I run the RO unit when I'm home into a bulk container with a small powerhead. Then I add Prime - only because I have it on hand, and maybe it will do something for the water in the tank. I also add a pH buffer (my RO comes out in the 6's).

Much easier than all my worry over the well water, and a lot better than hauling all those plastic jugs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice