Best Variety Of Fish Food?

Sh899y
In my tank I have JulI Corys, Cardinal / Rummy Nose and White Fin Tetra and a Gourami (+1 shrimp). To date I have fed them just a pinch of finely ground flakes and since the corys algae pellets (literally about 4/5).

Now one white fin tetra has swim bladder and another rummy this morning isn't looking too straight (although it may be one of the ones I bought yesterday. I'm putting this down to the rubbish and unvaried diet I have been feeding them not fully understanding the consequences.

Looking for recommendations for variety based on experience with the fish above. As there seems to be some products sold that aren't of good enough quality.

Keith83
Lighten up on the algie wafers. Corys need protein too. you can get regular fish food in sinking form. Maybe the other fish are eating the algie too if they're not getting enough of the flakes.

Sh899y
Lighten up on the algie wafers. Corys need protein too. you can get regular fish food in sinking form. Maybe the other fish are eating the algie too if they're no getting enough of the flakes.

Would that be enough variety then Keith, if I just introduced pellets too? Taken note of the algie pellets. Though they are about 1/10 the size of a wafer (assuming they're about button size).

Use pellets for my goldfish. Not seen the tropical ones but then never looked. The fish ignore the algie pellets on the most part. One or to may go have a look as its falling but then ignore it.

Keith83
Would that be enough variety then Keith, if I just introduced pellets too? Taken note of the algie pellets. Though they are about 1/10 the size of a wafer (assuming they're about button size).

Use pellets for my goldfish. Not seen the tropical ones but then never looked. The fish ignore the algie pellets on the most part. One or to may go have a look as its falling but then ignore it.
Most tropicals can live out pretty full life cycles just eating basic sinking tropical pellets but of course there are lots of other prepared fish foods you can supplement with. I use Omega One Natural Protein Formula Super Color Pellets as my staple food. Theybsink and my 10 Corys love them. My other fish do also but I feed flakes that float for them to allow the Corys to have time to eat the pellets. I also will once a week add some algie wafers and on other days blood worms. I also have sinking shrimp wafers that I put in 3 times a week.

Sh899y
Many thanks Keith

Sh899y
Picked up Tetra Pro Colour and Tetra Pro Energy today.

Gerlon2fingers
I’ve been rotating through regiment of Bloodworms, Tubifex Worms and Brineshrimp over the past two months. My fish’s colors and overall appearance is so much better. They seem to love the variety.

BottomDweller
IME respashy gel food is the best type of food but variety is so important. Rotating different types of pellets and flakes doesn't really count as variety IMO. Here's what I feed my fish: frozen and freeze dried blood worms, frozen and freeze dried daphnia, frozen brine shrimp, frozen black worms, frozen white worms, freeze dried tubifex, hardboiled egg, dried seaweed, vegebles (peas, courgette and broccolI are most popular), fruit (blueberries are a favourite), respashy gel food, pellets, flakes and algae wafers.
Sure they may get enough nutrients from flakes but you can really see them thrive when you give them a variety of foods.

Also cories are mostly carnivorous so the algae wafers won't be doing much good. They do well in a diet that includes high protein sinking pellets and frozen foods.

JenniferB
I give tubifex worms, blood worms, Cobalt brand flake, sinking shrimp pellets for the corys, peas, hardboiled egg yolk every so often if I happen to be eating one and think about it, bug bites. I have been thinking about doing a home made mix of tilapia, shrimp, scallops and peas to put in the freezer and give to them as well. I just haven't found the time lately.

Sh899y
Thanks all. Will definitely just do a bit more research on each fish, and offer variety based on each although bloodworms clearly seem like something all would like. Will definitely mix it up from just flake and pellets though. Many thanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
wem21
Replies
Views
Wraithen
Top Bottom