Best Type Of Turtle To Start With? Question

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by nikm128, Aug 19, 2019.

1. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    I'm considering a turtle tank for my sister, it would be hers but I'd probably be doing most of the work with it. What's the best type of turtle for me to start with, red eared sliders are the most common here but I don't think I could get a big enough tank for one of them.
    If you could include the biggest tank size I'd need for your suggestions that would be helpful.

2. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Experience:
    2 years
    musk turtles or terrapins. the kinds that stay tiny. @scarface

3. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    That was fast lol, thanks. I'll have to see if anyone around me sells those or if the lfs will special order turtles like they will fish.

4. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,254
    Experience:
    Just started
    Musk turtles are widely regarded as beginner turtles, because of their small size and relative ease compared to basking turtles.

Pet stores usually sell red eared sliders. I had difficulty finding musks until I went to a couple reptile expos, where I was finally able to get a razorback musk.

29g or 20g long will do fine for one, 40g breeder being ideal.

5. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    See and I thought all of them absolutely needed a pretty good sized area to bask on out of the water. I see they should still have an area like that, but they pretty much stay in the water constantly.
    If I can't find any of them, what would be the second turtle on your list? And only because they're just impossible to avoid, how are red eared sliders as a first turtle?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +312
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Some of my favorites include razorback or common musks, 3 striped muds and there are albino musk s but too rich for my blood. A lot of turtles are friendly but yeah some get quite large and need a basking area more than others. The ones i mention dont.

Diamond back terrapin is a dream of mine.

7. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,254
    Experience:
    Just started
    After musks, I have no idea on a second "best" turtle for beginners. But I believe if you have done the proper research and have funds for good housing, most any turtle species shouldn't be difficult. Musks are simply easier on the wallet, when initially starting out, and their smaller size doesn't hurt either.

I really can't say much about red eareds, but they require a larger initial investment than musks.

8. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    Alright that makes enough sense, I'll see what I can find and update you if I do end up being a turtle owner.

9. Obie

ObieNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Im a new RES owner, he's not a problem at all. just keep the water clean like you would any other tank and you're golden. Just be careful taking it out of the tank, they are suprisingly fast little guys, and no elevated surfaces, they dont seem to understand the concept of falling off and getting hurt. I like to set mine on a towel in the floor, and let him explore for about an hour. obviously dont let anyone step on tgem, and be cautious with other animals in the house. My dogs just sit there and watch him waddle around, but one of my cats has been known to swipe at the turtle.

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    I have nothing against RES really, it's more a matter of they get a pretty good size which means a tank I don't have the space of money for right now. If those weren't issues I would happily get a tank for 1-2 of them.

11. Obie

ObieNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I definitely understand that, i didn't plan on having a trurtle at all. Mine was actually given to me by someone who couldn't take care of it anymore.
    Mines young and still pretty small, about the palm of my hand and for now his 10gal tank seems to be okay, once he gets bigger though im probably going to buy a kitty pool or something for him. Money wise though he isnt a huge dent in my already small paycheck, but it really depends on how many you have. (i only have one)

12. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    Will males fight with each other?

13. Obie

ObieNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    They probably will when they get older. If you do want to get two males, try getting them both at once while they're still fairly young. They'll fight regardless but i doubt they would seriously injure one another.

14. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Experience:
    5 years
    That's good, from what I understand males are the smaller ones correct?

15. Obie

ObieNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I think it would depend mostly on the species, Aquatic species usually have the smaller males i believe. Male semi aquatic species like RES tend to be bigger than the females. You may want to do some further research of your own, i am in no way an expert by any means.