Best type of betta?

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m getting a betta today and I’m wondering is their any betta types that are better than others? Like for example are veiltails better than double tails because they are less inbred? Thanks in advance!

Annahhayy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Long finned bettas are prettiest IMO, but definitely not the best swimmers. They often give themselves “haircuts” where they self mutilate to be able to swim better. I personally think it’s sad to breed bettas to have these long flowy fins if it isn’t in the best interest of the fish. I had one (before I knew better) whose tail was BEAUTIFUL, then he chewed it all off. I literally caught him with a piece of it in his mouth (previously I thought he had finrot). I now only keep wild bettas personally with one half moon that was a rescue.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think it will be personal preference when you get there. You could have your mind set on a veil or crown tail then you may see a plaket you like.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thanks, what type Of betta is least prone to sickness and disease? I just don’t want to deal with a betta that keeps getting sick due to genetics.

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jkkgron2 said:
I’m getting a betta today and I’m wondering is their any betta types that are better than others? Like for example are veiltails better than double tails because they are less inbred? Thanks in advance!
Some people look down on veiltails because they’re “too common” and Rosetails often have trouble with their fins/swimming. But ultimately it’s down to you and what you like the look of best. Personally I’m partial to half moons and deltas
(Also, I often argue that butterfly is a color not a tail type but that’s another topic)
The tails aren’t really different “Types” they’re just different tail shapes

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kallililly1973 said:
I think it will be personal preference when you get there. You could have your mind set on a veil or crown tail then you may see a plaket you like.
Actually a while ago I saw a pretty plakat that made me want to get a betta :)

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
By the way I’m open to any type of betta (I love them all!) I just want to make sure I get a healthy type of betta that’s not prone to sickness

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jkkgron2 said:
By the way I’m open to any type of betta (I love them all!) I just want to make sure I get a healthy type of betta that’s not prone to sickness
Then i would go to the store and observe the ones that catch your eye and make the decision that way. Noone can really tell if a betta or any fish for that matter will eventually get an illness. Everything is dealt a different card in life.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok I’ll do that! The only reason I didn’t just plan on doing it was I got the most beautiful healthy male betta last time and within two days he had fin rot, parasites, and swim bladder disease

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Ok thanks, what type Of betta is least prone to sickness and disease? I just don’t want to deal with a betta that keeps getting sick due to genetics.
Wild bettas are least prone to diseases than domestic bettas.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just got him! Here’s a pic

image.jpg

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jkkgron2 said:
I just got him! Here’s a pic

image.jpg
Very handsome! Which kind of tail shape did you end up getting? I can’t quite tell from the pic

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He's very pretty! He looks like he'll color up the same way my boy did after being in a proper environment (see profile pic) :)

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dewclaw83 said:
Very handsome! Which kind of tail shape did you end up getting? I can’t quite tell from the pic
Thanks! He’s a Dragon scale.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sunflower said:
He's very pretty! He looks like he'll color up the same way my boy did after being in a proper environment (see profile pic) :)
Wow! I hope he does! By the way his name is Domino

EDIT: this is him in the tank
image.jpg

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
More pics:

image.jpg
image.jpg

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Thanks! He’s a Dragon scale.
By no means trying to be rude but that does not look like a dragon scale...

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually he isn't a dragonscale (which is good for you, those are prone to blindness) ;)

He appears to be some kind of rose- or feathertail version of the middle between a HMPK and a full-length over half moon. Even at (near) full spreads there are folds in the caudal, though they could be worse.

The less-than-full-length fins is a good choice. I would say in terms of avoiding fin rot, the best betta choice is plakat/roundtail/short delta/suncomb/spadetail -> HMPK -> crowntail -> halfmoon/delta -> doubletail (edit: forgot veilteil, should go here) -> rosetail/feathertail/triple tail.

But anyhow, nice colours! :)

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FinalFins said:
By no means trying to be rude but that does not look like a dragon scale...
Honestly I agree, that’s just what he Was labeled as

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could I add snails to His tank or would that be to much bioload For his 3 gallon to handle?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom