Best Treatment for Fungal/Bacterial Infection?

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I believe my empire gudgeon got knicked on my net when I had to take him out of the tank about 2 days ago. I noticed this white, cottony substance on him and need to find the best treatment towards fixing it. I browsed a lot of the other threads but could never really get a concise answer. Since I don't have a 2nd tank up and running, quarantining him by himself isn't an option m I currently have ich x and e.m. erythromycin on hand. I know ich x can combat a little fungal growth and the later is good for bacterial. Is there another recommended product I should grab? API Fungal Cure? Pimafix?

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are certain that the fungus is a result of an abrasion, then no med is required. Clean water & time should heal it up. Might use Seachem's StressGuard to assist in healing.

OP
conreality

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, I'm fairly certain. That's good to know though. I've been using API StressCoat, is StressGuard different?
A201 said:
If you are certain that the fungus is a result of an abrasion, then no med is required. Clean water & time should heal it up. Might use Seachem's StressGuard to assist in healing.

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have that same cave, just wanted to say that but I use Melafix on my fish, I add it every three days regardless if my fish are sick just because it can't hurt the fish.

OP
conreality

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ImpairedFish said:
I have that same cave, just wanted to say that but I use Melafix on my fish, I add it every three days regardless if my fish are sick just because it can't hurt the fish.
Sweet, cave buddies!
And that's true, I might pick up both Mela/Pima just to be on the safe side.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe StressCoat leaves a non toxic slimey residue in the tank, while StressGuard doesn't. Seachem claims StressGuard actually binds to wounds, which enables a quicker recovery.

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
conreality said:
Sweet, cave buddies!
And that's true, I might pick up both Mela/Pima just to be on the safe side.
Not sure if you live near a Petsmart but check their site, I got it for half price last time and ended up buying 6 big bottles at like $8 and some change for each

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If that light area is an ulcer your fish is in big trouble.

OP
conreality

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AvalancheDave said:
If that light area is an ulcer your fish is in big trouble.
I don't think it is. As I said, I'm pretty certain he was injured when moving him to the tank. Unless that can cause an ulcer? But it only happened two days ago with the fungus being more prominent today. So, I'm not really sure. I'm not sure what causes ulcers though.

OP
conreality

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A201 said:
I believe AvalancheDave is referring to a bacterial ulcer, or Pit aka Columnaris.
Oh okay, yeah I looked into that too. I'm fairly certain it isn't that. There wasn't any of the other symptoms nor is it all over the place like I see in certain images.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the skin is gone or you can't see the scales then it's an ulcer.

If everything looks intact but simply covered in a clear translucent slime then it could be Costia.

OP
conreality

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AvalancheDave said:
If the skin is gone or you can't see the scales then it's an ulcer.

If everything looks intact but simply covered in a clear translucent slime then it could be Costia.
That seems more prominent in goldfish and cold water tanks. I'm currently at 84 degrees F on this tank. I'm thinking that it's cotton fin fungus or something along those lines that got into the open wound.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that keeping the water clean is the most important thing right now. Consider adding Seachums Paraguard for a couple weeks, it has mild versions of varios medicines, it should be ok with the gudgeun, but with scaleless fish the is always a risk from medication.

OP
conreality

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll be sure to pick that up, thank you.

OP
conreality

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Quick update.
When I went to the store they were out of all the products mentioned, besides melafix. I ended up going with aquarium salt for now as I read it could be beneficial in moderation, so I applied some of that.

When I got back from the store, the Gudgeon had I guess gotten annoyed by it and rubbed it off. I removed it from the aquarium and snapped a quick picture of it. He seems to be doing a little better, but still obviously stressed out. For now I'll just keep up with stress coat that I have and the aquarium salt. Hopefully with water changes and all that, he'll be okay.

Appreciate all the advice given to me here! You all are a huge help.

Attachments

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dont add salt with scaleless fish like the gudgen!!!!! You would be better to add no medicine at all!
Keep the water clean, don't net him again, because it removes slime coating "fishy immune system, and there are plenty of articules saying that stress coat poducts have very limited if any benifits.
You fish looked ok to me, but I didnt see him before.
You could order some Seachums paraguard if you think it is needed. but watch you tube videos about it and decide if you want to risk it with the scaleless fish.

OP
conreality

conreality

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow, I explicitly told the employee and Petco about the situation and he pointed me directly towards that. I only did 1 tablespoon in a 29G, so hopefully it won't affect him harshly.

Going off of the reading that I did, it shouldn't do much at the dosing I did.

Noroomforshoe said:
Dont add salt with scaleless fish like the gudgen!!!!! You would be better to add no medicine at all.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of the people at petco have little information about fish care. The petco websight about fish is pretty bad too, So even if the employees studied that, you the customer, are still out of luck.

I have been lucky in the past to have had some very knowledgable employees help me early on, Unfortunatly you won't be able to tell which people are knowledgable, and which people are reading off a card, untill you are very knowledgable your self. so I suggest, always bring your cell phone, always look for at least 3 matching opinions at least.
That amount of salt is probably ok if you do not add more,but I hate saying things like that though, I'm not a scientist or ichthyologist. I dont even know what salt dose to harm scaless fish. Is it like pouring salt on a slug? I hope not!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom